Burly Staircasing

Hello everyone,

Please help save this MPCNC from a very violent death. I’m going a little insane trying to get it to not staircase (if that is even what this condition is called). The build is a burly that I’ve been fighting with off and on over the course of 5 years (I get really frustrated at it). How do I tune out this staircasing effect? Any help would be insanely appreciated. I’m really trying to get this operational once and for all. I have so many things I want to make and I cant even make a halfway decent spoilboard.

This is what it looks like.

1 Like

You need to tram your router. Usually a few layers of painters tape on the low side inside the mount will help bring it back straight. Ryan has a tool for measuring it on printables.

The tool is this one:

https://www.printables.com/model/20914-dewalt-dw660-perpendicularity-tester

I have also seen people put a bent piece of wire from a clothes hanger in an S shape to do a similar thing.

If your router isn’t perpendicular (or trammed) to the XY plane, then you will have a high and low side of the bit.

If you have a different height when going from left to right as opposed to right to left, then you have bigger problems.

A smaller bit also makes that difference a lot smaller.

At some point, you have to just get it close enough. You may get to the point where you can see the lines, but not feel them, or barely feel them. Just be confident it does not have to be perfect to make great work. At some point, try to get some easy wins and don’t stress the zeroes until you have more experience and confidence. This is supposed to be fun. It cam be hard to learn. So focus on building skills one at a time with test pieces and small projects before you give yourself any deadlines.