Blue LCD with no text, can't see in Mac OS Mojave

Hi all,

Finally finished my build and now trying to move over to the software side of things – what a fun project this has been so far!

Unfortunately I am only seeing a blue LCD screen - no text - when I power up using the kit power supply. I am also using the dual end stops and purchased the proper board from this shop, so firmware should be flashed. I have tried flipping the connections around as advised on this forum to no avail (I either get a blank blue screen or a flickering screen with a clicking sound - almost like a turn signal in a car).

I have also tried to plug the machine into my computer (Macbook Pro running Mojave). In the past I have had some issues with connecting Arduino or Arduino-compatible boards to my laptop and believe it is due to the USB dongles this laptop requires. I have found success with purchasing USB-C cables, so no dongle is necessary. For this project I have a printer-style USB to USB-C cable and can see the RAMBo show up in my system information.

Repetier says the machine is connected and can connect to it but it is not moving, in any direction, when I issue commands to it. I saw some links to firmware downloads that might be causing USB communication issues on this forum - but the links are now dead (posts were from 2016).

Attaching photos of my wiring to the board. Can anyone help?

I’ve got no experience with Macs, but the blue screen of the LCD could be due to one of the connections being reversed. Try swapping the connectors and turning them around - one of the combinations should work.

Yep - I tried every possible combination already.

There should only be two, as long as you have the ports correct, 1 to 1, 2 to 2.

If you are sure, you can try swapping the cable sin case there is a broken wire in one, they use different wires on each port.

After that there are two options, bad LCD, board not flashed. I know it should be but since you can not connect (250000 baud), try flashing it.

Got it working, thank you both!

I did switch the LCD screen cables and it worked. Repetier also working now after trying some different USB ports.

Thanks again!