Axis stops and reset system

Hello everyone on the forum. i m sorry for my bad English. I had a strange problem making an engraving in wood with my first mpcnc. I have a skr v1.4 turbo with TMC2209 and Ryan’s Marlin_V1CNC_SkrTurbo_Dual_2209_2.1.1_515-src working with SD and not connected to the computer. it has always worked perfectly but today it gives me a significant problem. I do a simple carving process in 3mm wood, a carving also did yesterday and when completing the last part with a carving from y72,000 to y8,000 the system stops and resets. homing works perfectly as does moving the axes via TFT. I tried to make a simple gcode that takes the cutter on the y axis from 0 to 72 and then to 8 and it keeps repeating the error. I also tried reinstalling the firmware but nothing. what can it be?

1 Like

I would check the wire harnessing and connectors first. Sounds like a connector or cable is being stressed. Look for bare wires, a temporary short is more likely to cause a reset,than a open,unless it is the power connection.
Good news is it on only one axis. Check all the splices and connectors on that axis at the flex points. Are you using a vacuum? Static could cause resets, although I would expect it to be more random.

Rewired and trying to put the 0 x y in another position, it gets to y73 and going back to 8 it crashes and resets the system.

Have you tried a different SD card ? I don’t have any experience with the skr boards. Next thing I would try is swapping the X and Y connectors at the board as a sanity check. See if the problem follows the steppers
Can you post pictures and a copy of you simple code that fails?

thanks for the help everyone. here is the requested file. I made a small video but you only see the cutter moving and the display remaining frozen and then restarting.
the cnc stops at line 15

test fine y.gcode (649 Bytes)

Line 9 is that meant to be all comments? I am a novice at most Gcode, but it appears that you may be mixing up work spaces and machine coordinates. Someone with better skills my be able to work this out. I assume your doing auto squaring. Is the Skr storing some of your machine coordinates when you auto square?

I copied a part of the original gcode just to test the part that was giving me problems. the ; they are part of the commented code that I needed to make the test faster. the auto squaring is commented because I wanted to give the machine a point of origin that was not the original to test that the machine made the same error in different points on the work surface, this excluding problems of twisting or crushing cables. I thus discovered that by giving the line of the axes in any position of the work plane, doing the same movement arrived at line 15 and then executing line 19 blocks and resets. the auto squaring it runs perfectly (line 9 commented) even if I place the z axis distant.

found! it’s the last M18 command that makes the board go crazy. canceled and everything was fine. Thanks anyway to Larry for his help. on the other hand I renewed the wiring :joy:

1 Like

Glad you found it. The last line M18? Someone a lot smarter needs to explain how that could happen. Learn something every day

the skr reads the lines of code first and then transmits them to the cnc. probably the M18 command which unlocks the axis motors puts the board in crisis thinking it is an alarm command and goes into error