Paul

[attachment file=77681]
[attachment file=77682]

Some pictures of test prints……

Paul

[attachment file=77691]
[attachment file=77692]

Hi Dave W

I do like your ear defenders and would match perfectly with my MPCNC.

UPDATE on my MPCNC

Im very impressed with its accuracy using Ryans FW. I was awake a few night ago and doing my usual midnight research, Came across a thread using a 2.8w laser. After reading that several times I decided it would be a fun upgrade. So I found a 5.5w laser and have just finished researching with the aid of a youtuber " some old guy coding". The laser should be here in 14 days and I have already adjusted the FW to transfer D9 to PIN44, to allow the TTL- and TTL5+ to control the laser using M106 / M107. Ordered the 10 ohm Resistor and have printed a custom mount which I obtained from Thingyverse.

I aim to make the laser and router quick swappable. My necxt project will be a smoke extraction device. Thinking of using an activated charcoal filter, but also considering a bathroom extractor fan…

Ill keep you posted

regards

Stuart - sounds like a very interesting addition - should work well for thin wood and intricate cutting - although I’d be worried about using a laser without a really good enclosure,

I’ve been wondering about how best to make an easier tool swapping setup - I really like the look of the e3d tool swapping bracket - could be a good addition once they release it. I also saw mentioned someone else on this forum the idea of having a separate Z axis for each tool - would just require an extra motor, lead screw, short pipes and some plastic bits.

Made some progress on mine today - now have lcd working and am finding your approach of positioning with the lcd then starting Repetier works quite well - although it is a bit fiddly having to go into seperate menus for each axis - so might investigate additional buttons if it is possible.

Also added a power switch - plus disconnected the red wire from my pc usb cable so that the Arduino turns off ok (may be different with your mks board).

Next stage is to actually start doing some wood cutting!

Hi Dave

You do not need to do anything for seperate axis, try this

With Repetier Host DISCONNECTED

Place the tip if your bit at the exact place you you want to start from X,Y,Z

Go back to RH and connect

You now have the tip set at X0 Y0 Z0 just like magic

As for Laser Saftey, I am laser safety qualified as we use lasers all the time at work in the NHS

My plan is to cut 3mm-5mm balsa/ply etc for RC jets

regards

Paul, it’s worth noting that you ordered the dual end stop package, so if you want to run without end stops you’ll have to reflash the firmware. Otherwise you will not be able to move in the negative direction at all, and that’s not nearly as fun. :slight_smile:

Hi Stuart, and hi to all the other UK builders who have surfaced during this thread, great to see. Congrats to all with the builds - lots of fun ahead.

I’m down in Folkestone, Kent, and have been the proud owner of an MPCNC for a year or two now. I went a bit crazy trying to use the beast for tons of different stuff for a while, but have settled into a pattern of just cutting/milling stuff!

Brought back memories the talk about m3.5 screws, Screwfix conduit, wiring dramas, etc. Being invited behind the counter by the nice lady, so I could roll their stock of conduit one by one across the floor to choose the straight ones. Some very strange looks from tradesmen in the store :smiley:

Like you Stuart, I went with a Makita clone, owing to the lack of a 240v Dewalt option. Like you I followed the first cuts around with the vac, wondering why I couldn’t see any dust going up! The penny drops when the dust appears on all the shelves in the workshop! These things have quite a mighty down draft.

I ended up having a two stage design for a dust shoe, with stage one being an air diverter, which the lower dust shoe attaches to (steps down to router cylinder diameter) I don’t know how yours is working, but I put a rubber ring around the collet in the diverter, and have now got zero down draft, while the air exhausts to the sides. The shoe itself is on and off via a wing nut arrangement, so I can also play chase the cut with the vac, and also change bits easily.

air_diverter.png

2 Likes

Hi James

Thank you for the kind words.

My dust shoes is very effective

[attachment file=78001]

I hope it is self explanatory, The main vacuum hose connects to a dyson. the air from the Makita Clone is not diverted. The 45mm hole below the spindle is that size to produce a venturi effect and also to reduce the amount of suction between the shoe and work material. The spring as very light tension and just holds the shoe base down with minimum force.

[attachment file=78005]

With the dyson running there is zero dust and debris escape. It moves around very nicely and stays perefctly attached to the work material…

Having just finished the vacuum shoe, im thinking of designing something similar for my forth coming laser module, but think it will be drawn through an activated charcoal filter.

regards

1 Like

Spent most of the day today adding some extra layers to my cabinet - but it is still quite noisy and it makes the whole unit very big - so may have to rethink - and scrap the cabinet and just live with the noise, which ear protectors do a good job at reducing for me - just hope the sound doesn’t travel too far.

[attachment file=78073]

Think I will have a try at a dust collector like Stuart’s next.

Got some very cheap bits today from toolstati0n - only about £1.50 each - so will be interesting to see how long they last.

1 Like

Hi Guys

Dave… with regards to cnc bits and usage. Oringially I thought the bit needed to rotate as fast as it could and this would cut better. WRONG! After much reading and testing. I now run my router at its slowest speed and it cuts perfectly. This as reduced the noise significantly and I only wear ear defenders as im getting old… I run my bits (cheap chinese bits) at 450=600 mm / Minute at the lowest speed at a depth of 1 = 1.5mm and its cuts very well. I read that running the bits too hard and fast only produces excess heat and quickly dulls the bits. TRUE!

I have come to the conclusion that these cnc’s are similar to 3d Printers and the learning curve is a steep one.

regards

Yes certainly quite a few different things to learn than 3d printing,

I found I needed extra speed for my old possibly blunt 6.3 and 12.7mm buts to cut Douglas Fir and also I needed to keep the depth to 0.5mm.

My newer bits are smaller 3mm so will try slowing down again as you suggest to see if the increased sharpness or smaller size allows them to work ok at my slowest speed 9000 rpm.

I have to ask. Are the STL or step files available for this attachment? I would like to take a look at these and possible make them work for a Dewalt or possibly a 4000 Dremel depending on how Christmas treats me.

1 Like

Hi Jame,

I have never thought about the .stl files as they were drawn and made for my specific project. the shoe was started as a mish mash from here

No arm in asking I guess

2 Likes

I like the theory and it being spring loaded. Its a proven design so adopting it to a different tool setup seems like it would be worth doing. Thank you very much.

Hi Stuart,

I think you got me mixed up with Mitch :slight_smile:

I do love your dust shoe though. Like all your stuff, the print quality looks top notch too, so nice work there too!

Are the springs useful ?
You use bearings along the rods so the gravity should push it down, and when the Dyson runs, it should press it against the material, right ?

Hi

No it is designed to produce the minimal downforce due to suction.

regards

Evening Gents

its been alittle quiet in here recently. I have an apology too make. The .stl file I posted for my Makita Clone mount you will notice was removed. Reason being after I ran it through a 3d program it was not my miss mashed one, it was the original with the MPCNC Version 1 Mount. I didn’t get round to posting as the boiler failed in the house along with the Emerson heater thermostat going AWOL, as these things happen when the weather cools. It was hotter outside the house than in… So we closed all doors and I didn’t venture into the office in the 3rd floor, APOLOGIES.

I will find the correct file and post it soon…

Following the new boiler install yesterday, I have today sat at the computer and adjusted Ryans Ramps 1.4 firmware to run the TTL 5v+ from pin 44 with GND. After reflashing and testing I can confirm the voltage is fully variable using the M106 S255 & M107 S0, giving full power and power off. I then tested using S127 (50%) S68 (25%) S34 (12.5%) etc etc etc.

Just waiting now for Royal Mail to deliver my laser. Everything else is ready. Track17 shows the laser has made it through customs and as been released to RM, hopefully arrive this coming week.

regards

Inspired by Stuart’s dust collector made my own modified version attached to the center brackets.

Works well in initial tests - absolutely no dust left behind from thin ply. The only problem is that the vacuum cleaner is even more noisy than the router!

[attachment file=79147]
[attachment file=79148]

2 Likes

DaveW Sir

I like that very much and your tubes look awesome.

I can’t find the one I made and I have no reason for it. I alway, or usually put my designs into one folder. Unless it as been put into another folder by mistake. Hopefully it will come to light soon.

News from east anglia, the Laser arrived yesterday and has been attached. Alittle more wiring to do tomorrow if the connectors arrive. Did a two second test today and made some smoke… And the right kind lol

Pictures too follow…

regards