Any UK MPCNC owners?

Hi Guys,

Finally got things printed “random colours” I know! wired, downloaded Estlcam and plotted the crown, looks good so far.

Guess I better build a table and screw things down, tidy up the wiring and try some trickier stuff.

Cheers

Paul

3 Likes

Nice one

UPDATE

Gentlemen, I have finally found the drawings for my sliding shoe as detailed above. I have compacted them into a zip file, attached

[attachment file=“Router Sliding Shoe.zip”]

You will also need to purchase some 8mm OD Carbon Fibre Tubing and appropriate Springs

ENJOY

Router-Sliding-Shoe.zip (420 KB)

1 Like

Good afternoon…

i have decided to take the plunge and started to put together my list for my MPCNC build. I am am from Swindon, on the Wiltshire/ Oxfordshire border, in the UK; trying to bolster the UK chapter membership. I am due to partially retire in next few month so will have time on my hands to indulge in some of my hobbies.

my big problem is the 3D printing, which I was thinking about out- sourcing to a 3D printing service, but thinking about it, is that something that Ryan would object to?.. all rights fully acknowledged…

Anyway, I have followed Stuart’s build with interest, and looks like you are heading down the road of exploring laser cutting/ engraver which is probably the same route I will find myself going.

I have to say this does seem one of the real friendly forums, and absolutely full of tips , hints and help.

Having looked around the MPCNC does feel as though it is a genuinely accessible build which can be done by most people at a very reasonable cost. Thank you Ryan, for the opportunity to join in with this.

DW

1 Like

Because of the license most places should not actually print them, If they do even with shipping I tend to be less expensive. It is a lot of printing.

High five!

Hi Derek and welcome

I totally concur, Ryan did an awesome job with this project and it truely is an easy and enjoyable build.

Please feel free to contact me directly and we can chat about the build

Regards

Stuart

Hi all,

Thought I would post my half way build post here as I’m in Cambridge UK.

Looking forward to the painful learning curve of my ultimate goal , which is producing an aluminium part.

Perimeter tubes are 25 x 3mm 304 stainless and the x/y/z are 25 x 1.5 304, printed in E3D PLA+, 300 x 300 x 80mm work area.

Thanks to Ryan for the design and the vast amount of community support (especially us cnc noobs).

[attachment file=98684]

2 Likes

Hi and Welcome.

I am in your part of the world and live near Hardwick. If you need any assistance, just let me know and we can meet up and exchange ideas, I have mine fully working although slightly larger than yours.

I guess that sounded quite wrong.

Welcome and regards

Stuart

Story of my life :slight_smile:

I appreciate the offer, by the sounds of it you’re a fair bit further along than I am, so any advice would be appreciated.

Plus it would be nice to talk to someone who doesn’t look at me vacantly when I tell them I’m 3d printing a cnc machine, the other half has learnt to make a reasonable job of feigning interest in my hobbies, but its not the same.

1 Like

Nice one.

i know what you mean, I use my 3D printer most of the time and really enjoy designing, drawing, printing and amending all kinds of parts for my RC Jets, Aircraft and multi rotors.

I really enjoy using the MPCNC and you will see from this thread I have also added a Laser diode.

Let me know when you’d care to hook up and if you need any help. Just ask

regards

2 Likes

Will do, I’m hoping to get the mechanical side finished this weekend, possibly wiring, if I can hide from the wife and kids long enough.

Is there a PM function on this forum, I couldn’t see anything other than Public Message?

The software supports it, but Ryan has it disabled due to some SPAMy issues that showed up when it was last on.

unfortunately not, if you wish to get in touch use my surname in Skype or I’ll get a disposable email address and let you know for untitled contact

regards

well… I have assembled my bits for the MPCNC… and now having partially retired should have a bit of time (subject to the other half’s chore list) to finish off the printed bits and start to assemble… I have a MKS Gen L board by Makerbase. Does anyone have experience of using it. It seems very versatile with lots of additional facilities (some I will never use). I will have to do a search of the forum…I am sure that ot must have been used. I was also thinking of fitting it with a touch screen rather than the standard one.

Anyway, first thoughts must be to clear a space in the garage and work out how big to make it…and put together a decent table for it.

Good to see a few from UK here. As said before I am in the Swindon and so appear to be a little away from the Cambridge “cluster”.

Will Keep You postedDel

Hi Derek & Welcome

It as only been recently that a small group of the MPCNC community have got together from the UK, you will find lots of help and assistance around.

I personally used a MKS Gen v1.4 Board from memory like this

[attachment file=99061]

it was very easy to setup and I have a 3.2" TFT touchscreen with custom Startup Screen.

I also added Z zeroing as well as the usual Makita Chinese clone Router and a 5500Mw diode laser. During the build I designed and installed a custom vacuum shoe which as been a god send and keeps the work space clean and tidy

The MPCNC works very well if you treat it with the respect of a hobbyist grade CNC requires. Don’t push it too far or fast and it can cope with many kinds of protects and it just as much fun as a 3D printer to see working.

welcome and regards

1 Like

Hi there. Thanks for reply, and the board you pictured is very similar to the one I shall be using. I like the idea of the touch screen , and note you can get a choice these days on the size. It’s intresting the custom screen, I will no doubt have a dabble and see what I can come up with, but it’s good to know someone has some experience to…perhaps… call upon if I get get stuck.

like you I will be putting on Z zeroing, and also looking at work edge detection ( I will probably mill my own alignment tool from aluminium block). I saw something that will make the adjustments and ensure cuts align square to the work piece, making it easier for any set up, so I will be looking at that as well. Experience on the 3D printer has shown that you need and easy setup…

i have been watching the forum, and following the enhancements being suggested by the very helpful members. It looks a great machine to get started with,…thank you Ryan for making it so accessible and open… but it’s always amazing to see ideas for improvements.

i will definitely keep an eye on the forum, and off course the little corner of which is UK.

regards

Del

1 Like

Nice one Del.

From the information I have gleaned, when milling parts from an aluminium block, two things spring to mind

1, Depending on depth of the part, the MPCNC may not have enough rigidity.

2, Use very slow movements and don’t try and mill to forcefully.

Im sure others will be around soon who have more experience than I.

regards

Did you write your own TFT customization? Or is there one “out there” someplace for the MPCNC? I have one to try out on my MKS Gen L version of the MPCNC, but would prefer to start with an existing interface if something is available. (Currently running with the simpler graphics display)

Also, have you tried the WiFi that these TFT displays support? I’m wondering what functionality that offers, if any.

Hi Dave

Here are the instructions to customise your start screen.

regards

hi there again…

Yes as to regards the touch plate, I am dropping down to my local Makerspace and using their Bridgport milling machine. Sorry but I have no intention of using the MPCNC for metals, although I am sure it can handle (with a bit of care and decent cutters) some of the lighter work.

On the Makerspace bit, it is something I have recently discovered. A group of like minded “gadgeteers” that have some great facilities that they are willing to share as part of membership. My local one has the usual 3D printers (3 different ones), a small laser cutter, a great electronics bench, lathes, planers, table saws…etc etc. all available 24/7. In fact now thinking about it, I might finish setting up my MPCNC down there, it has the space and I can call upon the plethora of skills if I need to.

I understand there are Makerspace groups around the UK and believe one of them was showcased on the gadget show recently.

Anyway, I will keep you informed and … as always… thank for the tips and information. I am always on the look out for the new and great ideas.

Del