Another struggle - flashed SKR, and now my laser wont work like it should

Hello all.

I finally got my J-tech quad 24 working, then I damaged my SKR pro and needed to replace it. Luckly I had a spare laying around…

I tried to flash the new board with the latest build, and while travel appears to be working, the laser is not behaving.

The laser is functional because manual firing at the module works well at full power, but M3 S255 does not give full power.

It may be my flash process. I’m unsuccessful flashing with VScode…dont know why. I’m successful completing the build though, but may be flashing wrong.

It looks like VScode creates both *.bin and *.elf files.

Do both get copied to a formatted card? I ask, because I only copied the bin file over.

When the card boots the display says mpcnc 515DL and the correct build.

Thoughts?

You only need the .bin file.

What does M3 S255 give? If the laser does not fire at all then perhaps you are missing the travel command and/or speed. In order to get the laser to fire Marlin has to have a travel speed parameter set, it needs this only the first time and it remembers the last used value. I suggest you try sending G1F2000S255M3 before assuming something is wrong.

If the .BIN file you placed on the SD card has been changed to a .CUR file then the flash worked correctly.

Thanks - tried that also. No luck.
Now, the damned board won’t flash at all…not at all.
It’s alive but won’t suck up the *.bin file. What’s also weird is now I get a weird screen when trying to flash the firmware. Also, the TFT is acting up. I plugged it in exactly like the picture amnd exactly like my first SKR , which worked for 8 months. This is frustrating as heck.

When the card boots the display says mpcnc 515DL and the correct build.

I’m not sure if you are asking or telling. This is the build for a Lowrider.

I’m not sure what build you had before, but starting with the latest build, if you use inline laser commands, you must insert the following at the top of your g-code file:

M3 I

Also, the latest build has a safety timeout that turns the laser off if no movement is detected for one second.

Robert, I was making sure that you all knew that the build was LR. Its very strange because now it wont boot or flash. Probably a bootloader issue.

Probably a bootloader issue

Yuck. We’ve seen those occasionally on the forum. There are several topics describing how to install a new bootloader. Here is one of them. Good luck.

1 Like