Another Florida Build... LR3 #2

see if one of your screws has an offset head moving things around.

super super low as low as possible.

2 Likes

I dropped my pressure down to probably 25 then only crack the needle valve. Very little ipa just a tiny tiny mist that evaporates before it even hits the table, the metal gets super cold.

2 Likes

Good idea!! I will check that for sure!

25psi is where I had it but I had more IPA coming out than that. I will back it off some tomorrow. It sure keeps it cool!!!

Iā€™ve spent the last 2 hrs. trying to get the settings right for this V bit in aluminum. I donā€™t have the right one on hand. I need to get me one that has a blunt tip instead of the point. I have the numbers coming out good but the rest just looks like :poop: Iā€™m done messing with it for today but tomorrow Iā€™m going to run it with just the V bit doing the numbers and use one of the 1/16th end mills from your store to just do a shallow pocket on the rest. Then Iā€™m just drilling the holes not the slots for the bolts. First run screwed up this first section I tried so Iā€™ve just been re running on it until i get the settings right. Then Iā€™ll cut that spot out as one of the other 2 struts and use it on the bottom where no one will ever see it LOL. Did get a much better price on this Aluminum than the last piece I bought but its not quite 2ā€™x4ā€™. I needed 43" for the struts and it measures at 45" lol. But for $50 that makes the 1/4" aluminum struts cheaper than 1/4" acrylic so thatā€™s even better! Wish me luck tomorrow LOL. Hopefully ill have a good video to post of it cutting. Should be around a 2 hr time lapse LOL.

1 Like

Yeah, I have not gotten that real good either. I tried a lot of things. I can chamfer perfectly, but not just V carve. If you can pocket at all first with an endmill, then finish with a vbit it would be fine.

2 Likes

I was thinking about this again as Iā€™m about to head out to the garage and make another attempt at this. Then i realizedā€¦ You live over there in that crazy land where your sweat evaporates before it even gets your shirt wet, And Iā€™m over here in the land of ALL the humidity LOL. I may not be putting too much or as much extra IPA as I originally thought.

2 Likes

ACM Sheet | Piedmont Plastics | Buy Plastic Sheets

Another option for the struts? I have been using this stuff for panels on my printer. Best of both worlds. Super stiff but easy to cut.

3 Likes

Thanks but the Aluminum is bought and being milled on the old LR3 as I type

1 Like

I know this is over a month old, but I can relate to that USPS thing. Iā€™m always having to go pick my stuff up because they refuse to bring any packages to my house. Itā€™s also why I never use them to ship ANYTHING.

1 Like

I will say its been a LOT better since i installed the oversized mail box. I think in this instance it was just an error. They delivered it the next day if I remember right.

1 Like
5 Likes

Yeah, I saw. Just wanted to put that out there for another option.

2 Likes

@vicious1 Will the panhead screws that come in the kit still work with the 1/4" or do I need to countersink these holes??? Got to looking at it and wasnā€™t sure if the core would clear that head of the screw or not.

Front strut done. Hopefully the screws will clear. If not ill get flat head ones and countersink them on the drill press. Came out well overall. Had one problem spot Iā€™m not real sure why it happenedā€¦

On this pic you can see the 50mm markers at the bottom. For some reason when it was finished with one it would pick up like normal, then move slow as can be toward the next one and at the same time be lowering Z down slowly. These 3 here the bit got to the material before it was over the hole. I guess I have a slightly higher spot in the table there. Still donā€™t understand why it didnā€™t raise up, move to the next hole, then lower z to start the cut. Never seen it do that before.

Here are the bit settings I used. I did have to slow the speed on the screen to 50% for the V Bit though and the V bit is actually 2 flute. All I had on hand.

And a pic of the chips from the 1/8" doing the final part cut. I think it handled it very well and looks like a decent chip size for my inexperienced eyes.

6 Likes

Yes.

That cut looks pretty good! In the future you might want to choke up on that 1/16" a bit more. I canā€™t believe how fast you had it going through metal.

2 Likes

Nice! Very Nice! Linked to your post from printables Makes, the Alu grill looks great.

3 Likes

I bottomed it out on that green ring but i agree with youā€¦ Ill move it up more. Starting the second strut now and I speed up the cut some. Only using the 1/8" on this one though.

Good deal! I thought they would but glad to know I was correct! Thank you!!!

2 Likes

I ended up using an entire 16oz bottle on that first strut. The needle valve moved at one point and was just pouring it out lol.

I went though before starting this second one and reset everything. My air was higher than i realized at 40psi. Reset to 25psi. Moved over to a clean section of plate and set the IPA to just barely a mist. So fine that when I started cutting I couldnā€™t tell if it was actually putting any out or not. But I touched the plate after it moved and it was cold as can be so I know its working. Also on my inside holes I set a .2 straight clean up pass on this one so we will see if that makes any difference in finish. On the first one when I look real close I can see the lines from the trochoidal milling on the inside pockets. donā€™t see them on the outside part though so no clean up pass there.

Editā€¦ On second thought. Now that I see it I donā€™t think the clean up pass is needed these cuts are CLEANā€¦

And yes Iā€™m cutting though where I did my test last night. This will be the bottom strut that no one ever sees so no sense in wasting material LOL

5 Likes

That one is looking CLEAN!!!

2 Likes

I agree! Trying to decide if I should let it do the cleanup pass or skip it. I had to set it as a different bit to have it do a straight pass instead of Trochoidal so I have the option to stop it when it comes up to the bit change.

1 Like

Where in Florida?