Another Florida Build... LR3 #2

Yeah. He had a little TOO much fun at practice last night lol

That is an amazing build, that aluminum strut and other metal parts that thing is rock solid. I’m hoping that I can set up my LR3 enough to also router new plates and strut. what is the thickness we’re talking about here for the strut and end brackets (I’ll hopefully be able to print them out with PLA to start with). I’m retired in Panama City, FL. after 20 years in USAF and 16 years as DoD contractor. Now I’m itching to get into this CNC thing full throttle, it’s so cool to see all the different ideas and everyone here is so helpful it’s just AWESOME!!

2 Likes

That is TOO COOL, nice to know I’ll be able to cut aluminum with LR3, what’s the thickness of those parts? What mill/cutter has worked best?

2 Likes

The struts on this one ended up being 3/16" aluminum and the ones on my Full Sheet LR3 are true 1/4" aluminum. Both machines have 1/2" acrylic YZ plates and the 1/4" aluminum XZ plates from the V1 store.

They are amazing machines for sure. Using both of them this weekend to build a new kitchen Island for a good friend of mine. Hope to post some pics when we are done.

3 Likes

You two are like neighbors. LOL Both live in Floribama. I wonder if that bar is still there all the years later. Sorry way off topic. just noticed how far from everything BOTH of you are but still right next to eachother.

1 Like

Yes, flora bama bar is still there lol.

1 Like

I was there pre Katrina

1 Like

Great name, added to todo list, https://maps.app.goo.gl/EG5vZjRanhqzr1R36 , drove New Orleans to Mobile a few years ago. Stopping off at some memorials/museums. Was great to see some of the resilient, hardened rebuilt coast towns and infrastructure.

1 Like

That’s awesome. The only thing I have an issue with in the V1 store is the plates that are cut from MDF. I don’t know if I can have them cut from aluminum as well, but I have seen what the salt air here does to MDF, even if painted. Although I’m sure it would last long enough to route a new plate/s from aluminum. Wow, 1/2" acrylic would seem pretty indestructible as well, although from experience it can still suffer from stress cracks, particularly around screw holes. but it would take one hell of a lot of torque I would think to do that in 1/2" stock. what mills will cut aluminum the best? I have an idea to make a drip feed for coolant from an IV pack and tube which has a simple flow control valve. Cheap and works great, I use it for engraving glass (Copper/Diamond wheel engraving).

I mean steel is an option

You can 3D print your plates if you would like.

If you want aluminum you can take a look at sendcutsend or oshcut. That price is not worth it to me, perhaps if you tap your own holes but even then. My files are compatible.

2 Likes

I ran MDF for a long time before I changed it out to the Acrylic. And that was for looks not because there was anything wrong with the MDF. As long as your not outside where it can get rained on I don’t see you having any issues with the MDF from Ryan

1 Like

This basically. My assembly table is mdf with laminate on top. I sealed the edged with shelac and it has absorbed zero of the florida humidity.

1 Like

mine is raw MDF top and other than a spot or 2 from a spilled beverage its still mint

#DontDrinkAndCNC

I have 2 spare sets of 12mm plywood YZ plates for the LR3. One regular height, and one 50mm taller set. I have acrylic now, because I could. Nothing wrong with the plywood, it worked fine.

1 Like

Running mdf here in tampa fl. Got the water resistant stuff, to read that when surfaced the water resistance is cut away… lol still haven’t had any issues. Surprisingly… although, it is pretty chewed up and due for another surfacing

You should paint chaulk outlines where the 2 beverages were laying, like an old crime scene…

1 Like

I share your pain, so aluminium it was. That extra “I” gives a lot of corrosion resistance I’ve heard, but not as much as polishing them to within an inch of their lives!! (Just sayin… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:).