All wired up, moving but some issues skrpro

All wired up, moving but some issues.

I am able to move and home, but when I go to run my a file my Z axis continously drives down, and I am wondering if am missing simple process before delving too deep.

I can check my triggering status’ and see that my probe works, running G38.3 will probe as well

If I home, then press down on the Z axis in repieter it will drive down and probing wont stop it. If i home and then G92 Z0 it will allow me to move down.

Coming from a lr2 with an mks32 board I am just curious if i am missing something obvious.

This sounds vaguely familiar.

You might want to have a look at this, and see if anything here is matching/helping.

Bah. I think this is whats going on. Thanks for this Steve Ill check it out tomorrow

Well the common from what I can tell is Repetier.
However it sounds similar to me.
But that thread is the difference between G90 and G91.
You’re using G92.
I personally don’t know the difference between each one, but I suspect it’s how each one is similar and yet different coming from Repetier.

Or I’m guessing incorrectly. Watching that one and this one so I t also learn something.

I’m still processing the details and probably need more info, but a couple of things come to mind.

Probing has to be invoked by command and other movements/ jogs won’t be stopped by a probe plate physically being in the path. Closed circuit on probe to electrode is ignored unless during an invoked probe command.

G92 Z0 tells the machine to set your current workspace coordinate for Z to the location where the machine is currently located in Z.

G90 is a mode in which move commands are interpreted as being relative to the current workspace’s point of origin. AKA absolute mode.

G91 is a mode in which move commands are interpreted as being relative to the current location of the machine. AKA relative mode or incremental mode.

A lot of confusion can happen if you, say, tell the machine you want to move down by -10 from the current location, but you weren’t in G91 mode, but rather in G90 mode. So if your workspace coordinate for Z had been probed to the material, your command that was intended to “move down 10 from current location” actually told the machine to “move as far as needed to get to 10 lower than current 0” driving the machine down into the material.

I have not used Repetier host. One would hope that its user interface for jogging moves would include any necessary mode switch. However, I also don’t know if you were using a terminal to enter move commands or jog move commands, etc…

Thanks for helping him out @DougJoseph , or posting the different descriptions on the G9x commands.

I’m starting to feel like reading this problem after just getting done reading that other thread, I might be the one that’s confused here.

Re-reading the original post by Jim, running a gcode file drives z down. Then he explains other z movements, and those behaviors. At this point seeing the gcode might be the better start here?

My apologies, but I’m trying to undo the confusion I probably started.

Yes, seeing the Gcode file contents would be helpful here.

This all sounds like normal behaviour, assuming you’re using a lowrider.

When you home Z it should go up, hit the endstop.
Z will now be set to 200mm.
Most of the time a gcode will start at 0 and then go minus whatever your too depth is.
Right after homing that means it’ll try and go down 200mm which of course it can’t even it you didn’t have a tool installed.

You have to tell your lowrider where z=zeo is after you home. You can do this by probing with a touchplate nd offset or by jogging to where the tool touches the surface and send a G92 Z0 command,

Correct, and you can crash into your endstops on x and y during a move too. They are only active for homing and probing using the respective commands.

Thanks everyone. I have yet to make it back to the garage to test more. After my initial wire up I was not certain how it was intended to operate with the probe and I was still waiting for my touch screen to know how the behavior differed between repieter host.

I do believe with everyone’s clarity on how it should behave, I will be able to sort out with the time I have available this week.

1 Like