A lid for a "not so round" jar

“Hey I made a small jar, but it’s not very round, do you think you can maka a lid for it still?”
Sometimes yoi have no choice but to accept the mission your spouse propose you :slight_smile:
Let’s say it’s a great occasion to practice tracing shapes once again :stuck_out_tongue:

Scanning the top of the jar with a ruler for reference

Indeed… it’s not round… and by quite a lot :smiley:

Using it as a canvas after calibrating an tracing the splines

And extruding the part…

Had to test-fit and play with the offets to get the fitting right but I’m pretty happy with how this turned out :stuck_out_tongue:

I kinda like those quick “projects” where you just get exactly what you needed in under an hour of work…
Nothing really fancy or complicated, but the CNC is just “the right tool” to get them done :slight_smile:

20 Likes

You keep amazing me with ideas for stuff I wouldn’t have thought to use the CNC for!

am curious why you used a scanner vs a camera for the reference photo. Is that supposed to be more accurate?

Using a scanner removes a lot of skew from the image that would be added by the camera lens.

If you use a camera for these kind of applications it works best if you go as far away from the object as possible and then zoom in as far as you can. Smaller focal lengths tend to perspective distortion, the longer the focal length the smaller the distortion (kinda).

As the scanner moves the head and takes one image per line directly perpendicular to the glass surface it is not subject to this kind of distortion and gives you a very easy way to get the true “topmost surface shape” you need to make your part fit.

5 Likes

Exactly what Patrick said :slight_smile:
You can find some more talk about this here Tracing shapes with a CNC, an idiot's tale and here Shaper Trace

3 Likes

Wife did something similar to me a few months ago. I pretty much did what you did, but 3d printed the lid.

1 Like