3 Tube Gantry LR3 Build: An Idiots Tale

This is interesting. Do you think that the carriage would be more stable with 2 bearings on each rail. Might give a little more lateral stability.

I am definitely interested in doing something like this.

that was something I was thinking about as well. functional not pretty still waiting on the cbeam to arrive. ill print it and on monday when i have everything ill assemble it and see how it works. later i can work on making it pretty

Silly idea, on the router holder (where there are 7 holes), add on both sides linear rails.
On the rail carriage you could make a dust shoe with those rather stiff bristles.
Not sure if it would work but that way the dust shoe always drops to your workpiece and when the router goes down the carriage climbs up the rail so you have an always perfect”vacuum”.

Obviously the bristles might wear in time, not sure what happens then:)

1 Like

ill give it a try. i have to modify a couple things might brake it into a couple different parts to make it easier to print

1 Like

Good luck!

2 Likes

Slowly coming along.

3 Likes

Anyone familiar with barts external 6 pack cnc controller? Cant seem to get the motor to spin

Finally ready to start cutting things

3 Likes

Nice!
Is that a watercooled spindle?

1 Like

It is indeed, kinda went over kill when i started building the thing. Hence the x axis upgrade and maybe y linear rails down the line

1 Like

Welp got it cutting at 10mm doc on mdf… still got to work on tramming the spindle and adjusting the stepper motors on fluid to get a bit better accuracy and performance. Z axis moves too fast and y axis is short 3mm

1 Like

Cool!
Might I ask, was your x belt designed to be like this? It looks like the belt holder should be few mm’s up. No?

2 Likes

Yeah im need to raise them slightly and add a way of tensioning the belt with a screw instead of pulling with pliers and a ziptie. Once is calibrated ill add that im still debating if i want to machine some metal parts for it

1 Like

So how´s progress?

Been extremely busy with work so I haven’t had too much time to mess with it and texas heat is nasty. I have a couple things i need to adjust on the spindle mount. I was thinking about making it out of metal to have a perfectly straight one

1 Like

Now thats finally cooling down getting back into this maddness… finalizing the new Y plates and moving to linear sbruu rails for the y axis. still going to keep it belt driven for now but making it in such a way where i could upgrade to ball screws down the line

1 Like

Y plates have been cut and nema 23 motors installed. Im using linear rails for the y but will post the files once its done incase anyone wants to modify it and use the lr3 trucks

1 Like

4 Likes

You are so far overboard! May i ask, do you have a running tally??

Uhm ive tested every version and made them run and used them then i get a new idea stuck on my head and only way of getting it out is doing it so im always ripping my machines apart and re building them. Im about to finally wire this new one tomorrow and test it. Need to make a couple cutting boards for a few friends and need to machine some aluminum parts for a new 3d printer