Zero spot in 2d vs 3d

I have a bass guitar neck I’ve designed in fusion 360.
I would like to mill the front side in 2d mode so that I can select tools to do certain operations (ie V bit for logo, 1/8" bit for truss rod slot, 1/4" bit to cut out the body and to mill the head stock flat).
I would like to mill the back side in 3d mode so that I can carve back of the neck.

So my process (I think) will be to save the sketch of the front side as dxf and open with Estlcam in 2d mode. And also save the whole thing as stl and open for block machining in 3D mode.
I will then use the gcode generated by the 2d sketch and the second (of two) gcode files generated in 3d mode (the second file is the back side of the object).

My question is where the Zero point defined by Estlcam is, since I will have to flip the material over. Is the zero spot defined exactly the same between the two modes?

Thanks!

The Zero Point shows up like this in the corner of your work by default.

You can change it with this button:

This is where you can set it’s position on the Z in basic settings.

For 3D milling you change it here:

Hi, thanks! I know where to change the zero spot in each version, my question is really how it’s generated in 2d and 3d in each version of the software.

Btw: the z-axis origin (second picture) is a whole different problem. Lol.

Is there a way to set the origin arbitrarily in the 3D carve “Block” mode? I seem to only be able to do it in the Free machine mode.

Second question would be can I set up my stock dimensions in Free machine mode like I would in block? I seem to only be able to adjust the margin.

I wonder the exact same thing. Can’t find a way to reset the Zero in “block” mode, only in “Free machining” mode.

Input?

Thanks

You should be able to set the zero point after it generates the mesh. So after hitting program.

OH, you can’t.

Thanks for the reply!
Ok, another solution would be to be able to add custom holding tabs within the “Free machining” mode. Is that possible?

I don’t think that one will cut all the way through a material. For 3d carves I always did the masking tape and superglue trick anyway, just in case.

Yes thats true bit i have to flip my workpiece around to carve the back as well, so the zero point is critical. Holding tabs would help as well