ZenXY v2 Rail Diameters

I would rather find a steel equivalent since we can use it for very large Zen’s and both CNC’s. Aluminum will work for a small table but it is many many times more flexible and is useless on the CNC’s with bearings. (I am about to start a new CNC so this info is double duty for me.

We have 25mm and oddly enough 25.4mm (but not standard in the US 1"??) that seems to be a standard, or at least commonly available everywhere in the world I just don’t know what the equivalent next size down is.

Both sizes (18 and 25) are also easily available in steel and stainless steel (I built a 800x400 MPCNC Primo with 25mmx1.5 Stainless steel).

Is aluminum going to work with a 800x400 ZenXY-table? Or is stiffness also an issue with these less intensive builds? Then I would opt for the steel tubings :slight_smile:

AWESOME, thank you for some numbers!!!

Aluminum will absolutely work for a small build like that.

Just for my planning purposes: how quickly do you actually work on these files? Is it worth the wait or shall I just go for the 18mm pipe and the 23.5 special pipe for this build right now? Takes the timing stress off your part and I don’t mind. But if you have the files ready within the next few days I could go for the standard equip directly :slight_smile:

Also, the mini v-wheels are hard to come by here. But I may have found a shop. Is this the correct sizing? The center hole is a 5mm diameter.

Thank you again for all the work, also for my awesome MPCNC :slight_smile:

Let try and take a look this afternoon. If the model explodes it could take a while…or it could be done this evening.

Same with the wheels.

I hate it when a model goes haywire after making a single dimensional change. I got my fingers crossed that all your implicit references work with the change in dims. :wink:

I am always trying to improve my modeling habits in general to use methods that are less likely to lead to avoid issues with adjustments to critical dimensions. The only thing I’ve come up with that always helps, is start with the stripped down fundamental basics… like “we have 2 pipes, 90” oriented in the horizontal plane"… instead of “we have 2 trucks that will hold 2 pipes on a horizontal plane”. Whatever details come after the fundamentals, are what they are and can be more implicit (like clearance between pipes, details of truck dims, etc… but starting with everything referencing generic pipes (arbitrary length/diameter) can prevent issues when those pipes get swapped out.

Anyhow, I’m sure you’re better at this than I am… would be awesome if there was a good read on good general mechanical design habits to follow. I didn’t learn much along those lines in the 1 semester of Autocad I took in 1998… it was Acad2000 and undergrads didn’t do 3d 1st semester… so no surprise lol.

I just opened the model fingers crossed.

When I modeled it I knew I would want to change the Rail sizes so in general that change is always easy. Chamfers and fillets always die so do those last, and do not do all of them in one operation split them up so the bad one is easier to find (fusion does a better job of this than SolidWorks).

I don’t think there are any tricks other than knowing what might change, hard code the rest. I do not bother doing universal sizes for screws and stuff.

1 Like

Seems good to go, I need to export and orient all the parts now.

One constraint error and 4 filet errors, not bad.

2 Likes

Give this a go,

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/92630-zenxy-v2-25mm-18mm-rails

2 Likes

Whoa, awesome! I will have a go at it right away <3

Can I go with the wheels I posted above?

2 Likes

Yes, those are the ones you want.

3 Likes

Hi

I ve built my table with Igus N series rails- flat type

27 mm wide for the X and 17 wide mm for the Y
I used an aluminium U beam for support

This allows for a very low build

https://www.igus.de/drylin/flachfuehrung

Price is reasonable too

Igus has design wizards that allows for the calculation of wear, but the mileage of an XY is quite low compared to the wear characteristics of the rail/bearing combo

Good luck

Carl

27 mm wide rail= 20 euro/metre

The 17 mm wide slide= 3,1/piece

By the way, I just wanted to let everybody here know that my printer has been busy the last few days but some hours ago I started printing the first 25/18mm-parts and it’s only about 35 hours left. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The first prints are done and they fit together perfectly. Maybe a little too lose on the mid rails but i guess they don’t need to hold a lot so i could probably get them stuck real tight with one layer of adhesive tape.
So thank you @vicious1 for the files.

I’m just breeding over the calculator. Can someone help me get unstuck?

I’m going to make a similar cutout to @jeffeb3 ZenXY Desk and of course I want to have maximum image area. I’m a little confused about the cutout sizing for the countertop. Maybe some can help me out?

I have a maximum space the machine and all its parts can take up beneath the countertop of 1000mm (X) and 600mm (Y) and a 10mm ball. After entering these values, the calculator puts out 2 values for each of the 2 axes for the “work area”. How big am I supposed to make the cutout? Personally I would – having tried to imagine it all very intensely in my head – go for the “actual area needed” value. But since wood countertops have this crazy property of the impossibilty of undoing wrong cuts I want to double-check before my tracksaw touches the part :slight_smile:

P.S.: The tracksaw might just be a lie, since I’m maybe going to use a CNC router to make the cutout so I can go for a nicely fit routed recess cut for the glass pane :slight_smile:

Yeah these should be a bit looser than the others but kinda tighten up with the hub in there as well. They should have a little drag at least when fully clamped…sound about right? They should not rattle freely.

Crud, the calc is not working for me. Shoot, I need to take a look into it. I think this dead link is causing it…hope it is just temporary, https://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.9.1.min.js

It is pretty basic though. Your footprint is 184mm larger than the sand area.

That is the size needed to mount the plastic parts, the “image” will be inset 92mm on all sides.

The “gotcha” here being that this assumes a point source. You have a 10mm ball, so the sandbox should be 10mm bigger than the addressable area. Basically, 87mm from the outside edges of the plastic pieces.

2 Likes

Exactly, sorry I was not specific enough.

Amazing, thank you all. I already got my ruler, pencil and curcumscribe(?) out if the drawer and also got to the 10mm-ball special kinda figured out but it is so much better having your extra sight of eyes on this. Merci beaucoup :slight_smile:

Monday is the day of sawing :smiley:

Meanwhile the first half of the parts is assembled, while the other half is printing away.

3 Likes

Those parts look GREAT!

1 Like