Z probing with 10mm block height

Hi All,

I am trying to use a Z block of 10mm when I probe the Z axes goes to 0 at that point understandable but I would like it to be 10mm so I can go closer to the bed after.

anyone have an idea how to accomplish?

Kind regards,

Jortijn

I’m assuming you have a MPCNC, not a LowRider. Typically, you’d want to execute some code like this:

G28 Z        ; Home Z
G92 Z10      ; Set the current height to 10mm
G0 Z15 F480  ; Lift the bit off the block

You don’t say how you are trigging your home sequence. The above code can be attached to a custom button in EstlCAM for example, or inserted by your CAM solution. You can also modify V1’s menu in the Marlin firmware.

1 Like

Hi @robertbu

I would fully agree except that my Z axis will never go below the 10mm even after G92 Z10 it is like the software endstop is still set in the background to the origional 0 before G92 Z10.

That seems to be the case as when I do M211 S0 and then G0 Z0 it lowers to 0.

However if I turn software endstops back on M211 S1 I can’t go below the 10mm it must be a Marlin setting (using latest release)

Tried

#define NOZZLE_TO_PROBE_OFFSET { 0, 0, -10 }
and
#define NOZZLE_TO_PROBE_OFFSET { 0, 0, 10 }

Kind regards,

Jortijn

You need to turn off the soft stops for at least Z. They can be disabled by axis, or disabled completely. The Z should be disabled for all dual endstop builds already.

Hi @jeffeb3,

Perfect that does it thank you.

Kind regards,

Jortijn

1 Like

If anyone is looking for this I did the following

configuration.h commented the following
// #define MIN_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOP_Z
// #define MAX_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOP_Z

Then the following will work
G0 Z5 ; lift 5mm
G0 X100 Y100 ;move x and y away from test point
G92 Z15 X0 Y0 ; set Z to 15 (10mm probe block height + 5 we lifted)
;G0 Z0 if you want to test proper 0

So, just for my edification, you had to recompile the firmware when you did this correct, this is not as simple as connecting to the Arduino (or whatever board, sorry, assumption) and editing that file directly, correct??

Sorry for what seems (probably) like a stupid question

Yes you are correct my way needs a recompile I think you can disable software endstop with gcode as well

Not stupid at all by the way most of is are learning I guess else we wouldn’t be on a forum right

1 Like