Z leveling in Estlcam is not correct

Hi guys

I’m Sascha from Germany.

My Lowrider V3 is running well. I have only one issue. I use the V1 touch plate for Z axis.

Starting job, the Z travel very slow to the touch plate.

Then the Z axis will go high around 5-8mm. When the lowrider starts cutting, the first layer will not touch the milling plate.
If I want to cut 28mm wood I have to enter 28,8mm for cutting.

I do not what is wrong.

I used the Estlcam code shown in the build discreption.

Thanks for your help.

Hey Sasha, it also depends on the thickness of your touchplate. And did you measure your wood? Often plywood is a bit thicker than the market says it is. :smiley:

You need to tell the machine how thick your touch plate is. Fluidnc as a personal example defaults to a 1mm touchplate. Mine is 15mm thick so in the beginning every cut was 15mm off the board. Once I found the setting, problem solved. After probing you can g92 z0 and see where the machine thinks the surface is. It should be touching if things are set correctly, but you will likely see a gap.

The probe is default to a very slow speed, after the touch it will rapid up to let you move the plate out of the way, so that’s normal. You should be able to adjust both speed and pull back distance if they don’t work for you.

CNC machines are fairly dumb, they only know what we tell them. When we give them bad info, they still do what they’re told to do, not what we want them to do. The wood thickness only matters if you’re setting origin off of bed surface. If you’re setting to material surface it doesn’t affect anything.