Z dropping on belt side

So I got a quick question and did I mess something up? LR3 and I had a squeak on my belt side Z, so I hit it with Super Lube. Now, whenever I have the machine off the Z will just spin down on that side. I have to turn it on and get power to the stepper to hold the weight of the X carriage. Because if this, it’s throwing off my tramming and Z zero. Is there a step I’m not getting?

It should drop when powered off. If it’s not doing that your other leadscrew is binding.

You always measure Z again for every project, since every material is a different thickness anyway. Tramming in X is done via the endstops.

Well that brings up another problem. I home and the endstops don’t stop. I need to solder the resistors on I guess

But also, how do endstops help at all if one side of the Z drops and the other doesn’t? They are going to move up evenly and then one side will hit the endstops and the other won’t. I can’t hand turn to even it out when the steppers are disabled because if I do, with no current going to it, the stepper, that side will drop regardless

One stops and the other one keeps going until it hits the endstop as well. Then they are even again. Or should be, if configured right. The other Z should also drop though, so drive them down before powering down.

1 Like

It almost sounds like your machine may not be triggering the endstops when homing. Before you add resistors, I would watch to see if you run out of physical travel before it actually touches off on the endstop. That would also explain the z skipping steps and dropping. I think there is a remixed mount for the Z endstop if you need it lower than you can adjust currently.