Z-axis Still giving me a problem after everything

…perhaps you should underline the non-max numbers instead hehe…

Hey guys thank you all for the responses!

After everything I’ve tried I hate to be too quick to jump to saying it is fixed, but I have run extensive tests and no failures over about 13 cuts which beats all past records.

@P3DCNC & @Vicious1 I was running the tests faster than my normal cut speeds hoping to narrow down my issues quicker. I am well aware that 510 mm/m is the absolute max, but my G-code I kept posting was running a Z speed of half that and still having the problem. You guys got me on the right track though. It wasn’t an issue with my G-code (or at least it appears that it wasn’t) I just needed to lube my rod

After cleaning and lubricating the threaded rod I ran the same code I posted earlier but with the router off and just watched it run the code (3 times) no issues. So then I ran the router and did the same code (2 times mainly testing if interference from the router’s wiring could be messing up my signal) still no issues. I then ran it with my shop-vac running (2 more times to test if amperage loss could be causing an issue because they are on the same breaker) still no issues. Then I went back a few versions on my g-code where I had slightly faster Z speeds (from the 200mm/m to the 400mm/m ran this a few times) still no issues. Finally I ran a couple of actual cuts and still no plunges.

So again I don’t want to bee too hasty, but I can feel a big difference in the threaded rod’s tension when I manually adjust it, and so far so good. Fingers crossed!

Thank you all for the help! Hopefully I’m back on track now

Looks like I’ve read more than a few posts where similar Z axis issues were ultimately solved by slowing down, lubricating the threaded rod or a combination of the two. In my case, I found slight binding during the initial motion testing of the Z axis. Ran the axis up and down numerous times to break everything in and it quieted down. Then on my first test cuts I had the issue of the axis not raising correctly in between cuts, resulting in the crazy plunges folks sometimes see. A liberal application of white lithium grease and I have not had an issue over the course of a month and dozens of projects. Perhaps something regarding lubrication could be added to the build guide? Might nip a few problems before they become problems.

I thought it was in the build guide but I will have a look.

Are these my rods, I ship them pre lubed with white lithium is it not enough? Or are these custom builds?

I bought my hardware bundle from you and looking back at my build pictures, I do see what appears to be grease on the inside of the bag the rod came in. What likely happened is the bulk of the grease ended up elsewhere during handling and installation of the rod. By the time the build was complete there was no appreciable grease left on it. This is obviously not a problem for the majority of folks, but just something I encountered. A liberal helping of lithium grease post-construction wouldn't hurt and might prevent issues for some folks. Just a thought!

I absolutely love this machine. I am an old 3D printing pro who has done just about everything you can with one (including non-planar printing - interesting stuff) and the MPCNC has opened up a whole new world of fun and destruction. It is amazing where sawdust hides. Thank you!

I have been trying to find small bags of white lithium and have never had any luck for a reasonable price. I used to use grease out of the tube then switched to spray on, maybe it isn’t as good.

Sorry for the hassles, thanks for the heads up. I will look for a different grease.

Just wanted to throw this in here that I had a similar issue (even using gcode from estlcam). Turns out after replacing everything (and I mean everything) ramps stack-stepper motor-driver-pineapple-etc. My problem came from my short 3’ 4pin-2.54 dupont male to female jumper cable. I also had issues where it would either plunge too deep. After troubleshooting for an entire afternoon (not thinking it could be something as simple as my ‘jumper’ wire). I threw a multi-meter on each end and tested continuity while wiggling the cable around. Turns out the damn wire had a short in it somewhere. This was the cause of all of my issues. This has now given me reason to add a vac attachment lol. Some issues lead us to greater things!

Neil

Nah. No worries. Obviously the grease you are applying is sufficient for 99% of the builds. There was probably some inconsistency with my printed parts that needed a little extra love to overcome. That said, if every build I did was perfect the first time out, I’d probably have grown bored with these hobbies years ago. I find most of the fun is in the building, troubleshooting, improving and improvising. The stuff I make is just a cool benefit that helps fuel the hobby. I don’t think you really need to worry about including extra grease in the kit (unless you are able to source at some ridiculously low price). Just a mention in the build guide would suffice. Even if folks do not heed the advice during the build, they will surely see it when they refer back to troubleshoot an issue with the axis movement.

My kit was all 100% from the shop, but I don’t remember if there was any grease on the rod in the bag for sure or not I do think there might have been. I remember thinking when I was building it that it seemed like it should be greased when I was manually moving the nut up the rod. I just didn’t think about it causing such an issue till dealing with all this.

Either way I am with Neil and Vincent on it if we weren’t all willing to go through issues like this to have such an awesome machine we wouldn’t be here. It obviously is enough lube for most people and I value all the learning experiences I got along the way! I understand G-code much better now, and I am getting more capable in fusion360 and I actually understand what the post processor is doing pretty well now. I think I may look into the vacuum boot too though because I don’t want sawdust causing me any more grief.

I have made a bunch more cuts and still no resurfacing of the issue so I hope I am in the clear. I even used it to cut out some leather stuff which is pretty awesome.

Thank you Vicious and everyone for helping me on my journey, and making this possible!!

Good to hear Matt. Glad it’s fixed.

Dear Matt @crotalus, my comment is completely irrelevant to this issue. I’m writing this because many times when i was searching for a solution in this forum, your incredibly long gcode shows up and need to scroll down patiently every time without missing other results from the search.

It is really annoying after doing this few times. If you could edit this post by moving those gcode to a separate file, please do that. If there is anyway @vicious1 as administrator could do that, finding answers via forum search will be less annoying.

If that makes sense, please consider that, otherwise just don’t mind it.

Thank you.

Sorry it irritated you, Now that I think the issue is solved I have edited it for you.

@vicious1 Such an incredible person you are. Taking care of everyone’s request. Thank you very much for that.

However @crotalus has two posts with very long gcode. You have already edited #28854 and #28861 still exists. If you could do that, then i won’t bother you anymore.

Thanks a lot for your time and support.

@aravinth I don’t see any options for me to edit my post to shorten it. I am sorry It is bothering you in the search. I hadn’t figured out that attaching it as a file instead of within the post was an option or the preferred method at the time.

No worries I’ll take care of it. I did bother me, but I didn’t think of the search results.

I am probably being really stupid here but which one is the plunge setting for the z axis as im having this issue and im going to try and slow it down and lube the threaded rod

Z with the down arrow. All of the settings have a hover function, very useful. You will also want to look into a plunge angle as well, but get a few cuts in regular first.