Z Axis not working - Compile and Stepper Issue on PlatformIO and Mac

Hi everybody,

After a while, i have now the time to make it, I just put together all the components and have some issue, first LCD was not working but it was just plugged reversed (must be red side of the cable toward power plug)

I began to test motions via LCD controller.

X axis is able to move with DeWALT D26200 mounted on it but at a periodic position it makes more noise even when not moving.

Y axis was not moving, i had to increase power to 1400, then another issue is the first time it moves after power on, there is sudden and brutal move

Z axis does not work at all, it seems that is not powered because when i plug a motor on Y plug he is able to move, i suspect an electronic issue or software issue with marlin and bad pin

My setup is Archim v1 with latest V1CNC_Archim1 branch compiled and uploaded with VSCode/PlatformIO on Mac
All the components and electronic where ordered on v1engineering

You can see a video describing the issue here : https://server.almandra.com/CNC.mp4

thank you,
Alex

https://server.almandra.com/CNC.mp4

Oh, you really shouldn’t be removing the motor cables while the archim is powered. I don’t think that is your issue, but it can hurt the drivers.

The noise the X makes is normal. It is the power switching on and off to the motor coils. You can hear the pitch change when it is in different positions, that is because it is stopping in different positions, and is providing different amounts of current through each coil.

Do you have the motors wired in parallel or series? If you wire them in parallel, you will get half power to the motors.

When you disabled the motors, the Z did not drop. It should drop, so I am guessing there is more resistance in the Z than there should be. It also was able to move when you connected it to the Y, which was at 1400 power still, right? So maybe Y and Z both just need more current, and X is just noisy, like most steppers.

After reading this :

I tried compiling with Arduino but it doesnt work on mac so i tried with a virtualized windows to compile and upload with arduino and now everything works well, no more noise on X and Z working well. And everything without increasing power just with the default 1125 mA I don’t know why maybe the library that manage the stepper is not the same with arduino buildtool and platformIO. By the way the motors are wired in series.

So it is resolved for me, thank you

1 Like