Z AXIS NOT RESPONDING

I have had an issue with the z axis when I initiate the Jackpot board off and on for several weeks. Normally it starts up ok and all the axis’s move the distance I request. Occasionally the Z axis will not respond upon startup or moves very slowly and not the distance requested. I just started the board and went to set the Z height with the probe. It moved very slowly…you could barely tell it was moving at all. I have tried it 4 times and get the same result. If I send a Z10 move it might move a little, but not the 10 mm requested. All the other axis’s are responding ok.

Using FluidNC v3.7.12 over wifi on a MPCNC

Any suggestions?

How did you do this?

If you used your starting Gcode from the instructions please copy and paste it so we can look for errors. This is how you should be doing it.

If you used the probe panel, you need to check the settings I have never used that. make sure the probe is slow, to be accurate, but it sounds like you might be too slow.

I use the probe tab on the panel. Regardless of whether the I set the probe or not, I have trouble getting the Z axis to respond. I turn the Jackpot on, connect to the FluidNC web and try to move Z 10 mm. No response or sometimes it moves about 1 mm, never the 10. Power down the Jackpot and restart, connect to the web and then, sometimes, it works. I can get Z to move the 10mm.

I always test the Z movement first before setting the probe. If the Z axis is acting weird the probe will not be set correctly.

This weird response by Z happens about 50% of the time. Tonight was the first time where restarting the jackpot did not fix the problem. Had to restart it 4 times to get it to work. Once the Z axis responds correctly the probe works just fine.

Update to 3.7.15 and also use the new preferences file I updated a while back.

The probe panel is not set by me in any way so you will need to tune it. I am not sure how or why anyone uses that. I will have to try it sometime but I have always incorporated that into my gcode. I have no idea if that works as expected or not. I imagine you need to set some speeds somewhere.

If someone uses it could you share your settings so we can verify.

Now I’m confused. The probe and probe panel work just fine. I have used your script in Eatlcam, but it is a lot of work to get it into Carveco. On my list of things to do is create a macro using your script. That is coming up soon.

My real issue is that, after starting FluidNC I can jog the X and Y axis’s , but not the Z axis. Since the Z axis will not respond, the probe will not work, even using your script. This behavior is intermittent and somewhat frustrating.

I will update to v15 as you have recommended. Maybe that will fix this bug.

did you also update the config files I have up as well?