Z axes doesn't home but moves normally when moved with controls

I got my machine working and square Yay!

until a few days ago every thing was working fine. yet while squaring I noticed my Right Z Axe won’t home anymore. it just doesn’t move at all when I tell it to home Z. the Left one does home. when I drop them both down and tell it to move with the controls it moves as expected. it’s not skiping steps either it just sits there idle.

p.s. I can’t seem to post a video file

Check your right Z end-stop, could be faulty or triggered ?

1 Like

Your endstops are wired normally closed, which means that any break in the wiring or the endstop itself will stop movement. The first step is to send your control board an M119 to check the endstop states. If the information that comes back says TRIGGERED for that endstop, then the circuit is broken. Look for a disconnected plug, wire pulling loose from the endstop switch, broken wire, or a jammed switch.

If you don’t get TRIGGERED back, let us know. It may be an intermittent break or something else.

1 Like

thanks guys, it was a connector that got pulled loose even though it was taped together the cable was pulled out of the connector. next time I’ll solder them together.

1 Like

I’m not sure, for your situation, what got pulled loose where, but in recent years I’ve been using low-temp hot glue to “lock” connections. Connections can still be unplugged if they need to be, but it takes some doing…kind of like thread lock for wires.

I used that on the endstops themselves and to secure some wires on the sides.

It’s probably me, but crimping those small connectors isn’t my forte.

Next time if I need to extend or replace some wires ill solder them and use some shrinktube and be done with it.

@Rusty_Bumblebee Happy to hear you’ve found the issue at hand !

@robertbu that hot glue trick is actually a really great idea, I don’t know how I never thought of it …
Thanks for sharing it with us :raised_hands:

1 Like