Z accuracy problems

I tried this and ended up with a .83mm deep groove in 2 passes.

Could this be a units settings problem - inches some places and mm in others?

Are the X and Y movements also smaller than expected or is it just Z?

X is slightly bigger, y is slightly smaller so I’m guessing my rails are slightly out of square. They are both within .5mm of where they should be though so I think it can be dialed in a little tighter at some point. It could be a units issue but I can’t find anywhere in the settings not set to mm. I wish marlin supported inches because that’s what I’m used to working with.

So then the next step is to see how it’s moving from the firmware, so that we can eliminate or implicate the CAM as the problem.

If you set the Z on top of the piece, and move it to Z=1, do you get a 1mm gap between the bit and the piece?

Or this should be definitive:

G92 X0 Y0 Z0
G01 Z-1
G01 X10
G01 Z-2
G01 X20

you should get a groove ~20mm long with half of it 1mm deeper than the other half. If the difference in depth is much less, then your Z steps/mm is wrong.

1 Like

I ran this code this morning and got consistent results, depth changed half way through the line as it should. You were correct about the z steps/mm being wrong. I recalculated based on my 2.6mm/8mm cuts, stuck the new value into the firmware and tried my 10mm square code again and it finally cut through all the way! I can start dialing in my steps for all the axis now to improve the machines accuracy a bit but im well on my way now! Thank you everyone for the help it is very much appreciated!

1 Like