Yet another 65mm mount w/ accessories

I upgraded my Primo J with a watercooled 65mm spindle recently, and decided to have a go at making an “improved mount & vacuum” for it. Here it is:

…and some laser/drag knife adapters I made to go with it:

I did another version of the mount that is extended further up on the spindle, but after trying the normal height version out I didn’t think it was needed. I drew this from scratch using official Z pipe OC dimensions, to make a 1-pc design and beef up the critical areas as much as possible. Since there’s extra mean near the z tubes, it’s a bit tighter getting a wrench in on things (still manageable, but some of you may need a thinner wrench for it?).

On the vac attachment, I was shooting for a more aero optimized design, but I’m only fluent enough with F360 lofts to make it ugly. It does have a constant cross section from shoe to hose though (slightly tapers down as it goes up actually). You can also clearly see the bit looking down the “barrel”. This helps reduce pressure drops, and is less likely to clog with long splinters etc. It works great with my low pressure high volume dust collector. The flex tube doesn’t move as you add/remove the attachment to the hose (ie, almost no pressure drop from it). The angled brush was an afterthought, lol… after I printed 2 revisions I added it. The angle does increase footprint, but it makes the brush push back a lot less while cutting.

3 Likes

@truglodite I am moving from the Dewalt to a 65mm Water cooled spindle and wanted to ask did you try the current Makita 65mm mount and find an issue or just want to design your own mount?
Just trying to figure out what parts to print out.

The design looks great and I like the idea of inserts for other tools and purposes.

1 Like

I did the latter; I never tried the stock 65mm mounts. The stock mounts fit most printable 65mm tool adapters too. It’s also lighter, and I haven’t measured it yet, but it may place the spindle closer to the core (which is a very good thing).

I enjoy making stuff, but I often user other folk’s designs if they are functionally adequate. After feeling the weight of the spindle in my hands the first time though, I got a bit nervous about the stock mounts and thought a more beefy mount might come in handy. If I thin out the clamp the spindle can be much closer to the core. I need to get around to trying that out. Also, mine is modeled after the burly mount, which works well with my z-max endstop. Not sure if the endstop works with the stock 65mm mounts.

1 Like

Nice work man. I just printed your file without seeing the details. My primo is the 25mm version (F), I’m just realizing that this is for the 25.4mm! Am I correct?