Y Axis shimmies

What are possible reasons my Y axis starts to shimmy a little.
It starts out fine but after a while it will start doing it. X axis is fine. I had this on the Burly too.

Wires connections seem solid.

Usually it’s a funky connection in something like a stepper wire extension. They sometimes push one of the pins partially out of the connector.

One possible reason is the y axis belt tensioners are loose or some mobility exists in the y axis belt attachment assembly. I had the same issue and replaced my y axis belt tensioners with another type of tensioner and the problem went away.

Take a look at:

@barry99705 . I recently re-did the connections and did some extra securing to make sure they didn’t come a part. Not impossible, but I’m not ready to think that is the case. I should double check at the board…

@Autonomous I didn’t think to check the belt tension. I’ll do that Thursday when I cut again. I’ll look at the cad you linked too. Thanks

Make sure they are plugged in the right ports. We had someone not too long ago using the second Z port.

Pretty sure I have them plugged in right, but won’t hurt to check.

You running a LR2?

Check to see that your YZ plates are the same distance apart front and back.
Checking to see it is not \ / or / \ . If that is not the issue, get a little video of what is going on.

If your MPCNC was doing it, that does sound weird though. What control board and firmware version (tells you on the LCD during boot)?

I’ll check both - plates and firmware - I have never updated it since I got it.

FYI, my Y axis rides along the rails. I think this is different from what others have.

I think we figured it out. I think it is just endmill chatter.

Following. I have some shimmies going on too.

Is there a ‘proper’ amount of tension for the belts? I feel like just pulling them tight is not very consistent solution.

Proper is about 7lbs tension. The specifics here are confirmed endmill chatter, not belts.

Speeds and feeds can be tricky and lots of test are needed at first to dial you in.

1 Like