XY / YZ plate mismatch issue?

I am building my L3 with purchased parts from the store. I have been double checking the documentation to make sure I have the parts installed correctly but can’t seem to get the Z-drive hole to line up with the hole in the XY plate once everything is mounted on the YZ plates (I had to take the Z-drive post off to mount onto the YZ plates). The more I look at this the more it seems like the 1/16th holes are possibly off?

1 Like

Here are additional pictures since I could only post one

See 2 large holes in the YZ plates...what for?

1 Like

@vicious1 for review

There is nothing wrong, see what Fabien linked, and see here:
https://docs.v1e.com/img/lr3/LR3%20(36).jpg

1 Like

The Fabian linked topic doesn’t address my issue. If you look at the top down image here, this is the through hole for the Z-drive post…as you can see the holes don’t line up, no way to get the M5 in

Here is a picture with the rail’s unscrew, M5 installed in the Z-drive post, you can see where the rail holes are

Did you purchase your flat plates from the store? If so, have you re-drilled the mounting holes for the rails?

At first glance it appears that the rails are not in the correct place but it’s impossible to tell from the photos because there is considerable parallax error.

First, check that centre of the rails is close to 92mm apart and centred on the opening (about 31 mm from each side). You can check that on both plates to get an idea if that’s where the problem lies.

1 Like

Maybe some pictures from farther back so we can see better? And maybe the YZ plate without the XZ plate covering it?

It looks like your linear rails are extending past the top of your YZ plate, but I don’t see that in other builds

Something seems off.

1 Like

The holes looked mislocated in the same way the other post did
Just a heads up for you to check if this was the same problem

If it’s not, well, given the “attitude” I probably won’t bother trying to help any further anyway :sweat:

As said by other members, your YZ plate seems “off”, liké it’s been squeeshed vertically and/or slanted or something…
One of the rails does not look vertical but maybe that’s just the pictures
Print the DXF at 1:1 ratio and compare?
Or 3d print the YZ plates using Doug’s design and compare/use it to cut the plates again?

1 Like

It’s a bit confusing but I don’t think that is the issue - I think there’s a misalignment of the rails.

1 Like

Not really sure what you mean by attitude, someone told me to refer to a post that did not address my issue and I merely responded to inform that fact.

All parts are purchased from the V1 store except the printed parts. I am posting here as Ryan apparently provide support from his store - only the forum. I am a little frustrated as I would expect these to work and not have issues.

I also think those larger holes are correct as that’s the newer version. That other thread was about differences between the newer YZ plate version and the older version dxf that was still floating around

2 Likes

I think a picture of the entire YZ plate by itself with the rails removed, or at least with the XZ plate not attached so we can see the rails better would help

1 Like

We ARE trying to help here @bry2002bmw but we are all guessing a bit. What is crystal clear to you is not necessarily clear to someone just coming in.

It’s only been an hour, could you check the following and get back to us? I am pretty sure that the parallax error in the photos is not helping - can you stand back further and try to get them exactly square to the camera perhaps? (After you have checked the dimensions…)

2 Likes

I’m a newbie here so I can only post 1 pic at a time. I have not drilled any holes as I paid the $80 for the plates from the store expecting them to be good (could have spent half as much through sendcutsend had I omitted the 1/16” rail holes).

After messing around with everything to check fitment I am fairly certain the rail holes were miss-located.

I will check with a dxf file next, curious about the store’s refund/return/replacement policy

The rail holes are 38mm from one side of the opening and 25mm from the other side of the opening

You did paint them, did you paint over the holes and made wrong ones?
The parts are all machined, an error is highly unlikely.

You gave a bad description of the problem, posted a picture not related to the problem and got snippy when you question was not answered correctly.

I know you are frustrated and it sucks if something you paid money for is not working, we are all actively trying to solve the problem and there hasn’t been a problem that has not been solved.

You might also have seen in other threads that if it was Ryan’s fault, he is very forthcoming.