X axis zero has moved

Kinda late, but I’ve cut a lot of acrylic. 2.5mm is a fair amount deep for a belted nema17 machine. But if you’ve got testing that says it’s reliable, then that’s good enough for me to put it at the end of the list of things to look at.

What caused me the most headaches was little chips of acrylic getting jammed up on tubes in bearings. If your x is the short axis (I think that’s how most of them are) that could be something to look for. On a LR2, I don’t think there are any places to jam up the long axis.

+1, I would go slower or not that deep (and use trochoildal milling technique). Due to the forces the bit location will gradually shift. So I would check this first to see if this helps.

Same here, that’s why I created the modified dust shoe with a skirt… :stuck_out_tongue:

Trochoidal, trochoidal! Full depth, 4mm. See here:

2 Likes

Different perspective:
Acrylic melts pretty quickly. I line to go as fast as I reasonable can, then go deeper until I have problems and back off slightly. Sorta the opposite of wood. I agree that trochoidal is nearly always more reliable, though, if you can spare the extra time. We can only go so deep before we have rigidity issues amd it adds SOOO much travel time.

Ahhh, if only you’d had one for the primo and it didnt take up any work area!

I think you are taking the piss. If not: There is a good one that only costs you 5mm. See my Schneewittchen thread. If you are taking the piss because I always talk about it: Suck it! :joy:

Well then…
I’d not seen it, but that’s exactly what I needed. Reason I didn’t see it is probably because I resigned my primo to laser duty last April and stopped looking for a solution.
That looks really good, though. Might be worth it’s own post to get more visibility for primo builders. Nice job!

1 Like

Glad I could help. There was a user just just week that also printed it. :slightly_smiling_face: But I am bad with names, so I forgot who. :open_mouth:

Many thanks for all the help. I have all my endstops working fine now.

Edward,

Could you do us a favor and let us know what you do and maybe show us the end product?
Its always so impressive to see what these machines can do.

Hi Chris

When I have the piece finished, I will post a photo of it.

Could anyone please tell me if the Marlin pp accepts tape splitting commands?

I’ve never read the term “tape spitting.” After searching, I found it is a way to split a larger job into multiple smaller jobs, each with its own file. Postprocessors are specific to the CAM tool used, so you will need to examine the postprocessor you use for your CAM software. In a quick scan of this topic, I did not see where you indicate what tools you are using. I’ve never seen this kind of feature in Fusion 360 nor Estlcam.

In Fusion 360, I “split” jobs based by 1) toolpath, or 2) machining boundary, or 3) depth. These are features of Fusion 360 CAM and have nothing to do with the Marlin postprocessor.

I am using Vectric, but the Marlin pp was not specific to Vectric, I imported the Marlin pp into Vectric.

While I don’t know anything about Vectric in particular, every postprocessor I’ve seen is specific to some CAM. The fact that you imported it may just indicate a 3rd party create it rather than something Vectric created. I use an “imported,” 3rd-party postprocessor for Fusion 360, and that pp is specific to F360.