X an y axis steppers moving by hand in program

I’m at my whitts end! No project compleat in 3 months! Mpcnc Primo has been issues all the time! I use Carveco Maker and found a post that would work! It was fine on profiles but doing 3d work would screw up every time! Slowed down programming to a crawl and same thing! Contact Carveco and received the correct post and trying it out I found that one setpper on both x and y axis are not locked in sink with the other and can be moved by hand back and forth! Please let me know what I can do to change this issue and make some great stuff! I’m starting to loose interest and thinking of going back to my little 3018 pro and not pulling my hair out!!! Thanks Rob

Hi Rob. Why don’t you tell us what you have and show us a picture. There is no way to help you without know a lot more detail.

Why not follow the directions as proven before you wander off the proven path? Test Crown.

Rob,

A little more information would help with the troubleshooting.

What controller board are you using?
Are you using a series wiring or are both motors connected to separate drivers?
Have you run the crown test? Crown Test g-code
What input process are you using to send the g-code to the machine?

Let’s start there.

Mike B.

2 Likes

This particular symptom is usually because the machine is wired as dual endstop (each stepper gets its own driver), but the serial firmware is installed instead. The only thing puzzling is that you are able to do contour cuts, since most machines bind up without being driven by both steppers. Even if you don’t have endstops on your machine, if each stepper is wired to an individual driver, you need the dual endstop firmware.

If the firmware is not the problem, please provide additional information including a picture of the control board. This is a very helpful forum, and I’m sure we can get to the root of your issues.

1 Like

From my experience I’d guess one grub screw is lose. It lets you do 2D cuts that look normal but are a little off (you won’t notice), because the first motor drags the second one behind. Doing 3D the problem then becomes obvious. That would also explain why you can move it by hand even though it is powered on.

p.s.: I moved your problem to troubleshooting.

4 Likes

Like Ryan said alot more info would be helpful. Board, fw, etc. Do you have a build log here in the forum? Is there maybe someone close to you that can help? (I.e. your location) this board has alot of peeps willing to help!

Hi Riley, Not very good at forum talking and posting and everything! But trying!!! I checked out the set screws and they were loose! Tightened them and thought everything was good! Now created a program tried to run and no movement in Y axis! I can jog but nothing in program moves the Y! I also noticed a red light on the rambo board comes on when in program. Thank Rob

1 Like

No worries, but we need way more than that. These are simple looking but complex. Did you assemble or buy it?

If you bought it, maybe we can help to find out what fw/board you ahve, but if you assembled it, can you tell us what it is?

1 Like

O.k., i looked up your activity, and I have found this post.

In review, I see you bought the board from Ryan, then they told you that it is Marlin, but you were wanting GRBL, because Carveco is Grbl. Does the board still have Ryans firmware? If so, can you please try using Estlcam to see if you can get it working correctly??

I did everything myself! Bought all the components and wired everything! I did find the issue with the y axis not moving! Yesterday fixing set screws I must have pulled on the wire harness too hard and unplugged even though I had it taped. Now for the post and programming part! Thanks Rob

2 Likes

It’s always the grub screws… :smiley: Glad we could help. :slight_smile:

Enjoy your back to life Primo !

Guess I’m cursed! Got the mpcnc running and now my laptop takes a dump! Don’t buy a Dell Inspiron. This is 3rd time it crashed not being able to get it to it! Got it running and ran the self diagnosis and nothing shows up! Least now I have information that it’s under warranty till 3/23. Thanks for your support!

1 Like

I use a dap of hot glue. You can remove it if you need to in the future. It really secures it in, even if your working around them. Did the same to endstops connectors

Loctite is the choice normally. :slight_smile: But whatever works I guess.

I got a little tube of the temporary “blue” locktite (that came in a red package, not confusing at all) years ago and am still using that same tube, so a little can go a long way. In a pinch I’ve used hot glue, super glue, and even nail polish/nail varnish.

Be careful shopping for thread lockers. Make sure you’re getting temporary that releases with enough torque. Some of the permanent ones need levels of heat to release that would be detrimental to the thermoplastics that make up most of our machines.

1 Like