Wiring help! Please!

Ok so I picked up a mp cnc. When I got it the wiring was all messed up nothing worked

the wiring was all short parts connected together so I built a new harness

I had every thing working as it should be.

But my son was in my shop pulling on wires and disconnected everything ( I didn’t have it all taped off and what not yet)

Now I don’t know if I’m just getting really confused or what’s happing but for some reason all I can get the steppers to do now is vibrate back and forth ( was doing this when I picked it up that’s why I had to make a new harness )

So image 3 is the wiring coming out of the steppers

Pic 2 is the diagram iv been trying to fallow but as you can see the wiring is not the same colour

Pic 1 is off of the v1 build site and the wiring colours iv been trying to fallow

But it seems no matter how I hook the wires up the steppers 1 do nothing at all or vibrate back and forth

Honestly I think I’m just getting really confused
Does anyone have an actual wiring diagram that’ll show me from one stepper to the other to the board ???

Thanks for the help

I"m not sure how helpful this advice is, but when my head was in the place yours is as far as wires goes, I got some coloured crayons and a clean sheet of paper and drew that diagram again using the actual colours.

That just eliminated a layer of confusion which made it easier to work out rather than having to say in your head “yellow is blue but at the other end it’s red, and red is green mostly, blue is blue at this end”… See I do share your pain!

Cheers

1 Like

I’m going to make an assertion that I’ve not personally tested but I believe to be true:

As long pins pairs 1,2 and pin pairs 3,4 flow through a winding on each stepper, then your wiring will work.

If you look at your diagram and start with pin 1, power first flows through winding 1 on motor A, then over to winding 1 on motor B before returning to pin 2. This is what it means to be serial/series wiring.

There is a cool way of making a test. First spin both steppers motors by hand and feel the resistance. Next short pins 1 and 2, and spin each motor. If there is increased resistance on both motors, then your wiring will work for those pin pairs. Repeat the test (1 and 2 now disconnected) with wires 3 and 4. If you get resistance there also, then you should be golden.

Now there is one other potential hoop to jump through. It is possible that one of the motors is turning the “wrong” way, so that the two motors are fighting each other. To fix the problem, simply flip one plug on one of the two motors. Now they will both move the axis the same way. If the movement happens to be the wrong way, simply flip any connection on both motors.

I just want to be clear about one point. Ultimately it does not matter which direction through the winding you pass the power. In your diagram, the current gores through winding 2 on motor B “backwards.” If you got that wrong, the motor would still work, only run the opposite direction, and changing the direction of the motor only requires you flip any one plug between the motor and the board.

1 Like

I did this for making a series connection too. It took only the first one to understand the layout but for a while there it was me staring at a jpeg going, “Wait, what?”

If you still have trouble make sure the pins are set all the way into the plastic DuPont sleeves as a good yank can pull those out a bit and make a bad connection.

Thanks for the reply’s. I think what it is Is I was already frustrated because I had it working already
( must have be a stroke of luck lol)

And then could not seem to get it to work after that building the frustration then because I’m already frustrated I’m easily confused lol.

When I get a chance I’ll try out your suggestion

I will for sure be marking the wires this time as I go so that if for some reason I need to take it apart I can easily hook it back up

1 Like

Here’s how I marked mine - no need to mark all the wires, as long as you know which plug goes where and what is the correct alignment.

Ok everyone I’m still having issues.

So I have the wiring correct I think. I know this because if I plug the x wires into the y slot the steppers work as the should.

So the issue now.

When I plug x axis into the x slot the steppers work for a min or to the jog as they should.

But once siting idle they make a high pitched whining sound ( Liston carefully to the video it’s quiet )

Then they stop working altogether and just vibrate back and forth

Vid 3 x steppers working plugged into y axis slot

Vid 2 x steppers plugged into x slot

Vid 1. Hi pitched whining noise turn your volume way up

https://youtube.com/shorts/5IMJHZ4Dsxk?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/re4YhYLkJMY?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/qyf7107hn8Q?feature=share