(WIP) Hotend for Lowrider or 3d Printer

hello I am developing a new type of hotend fo shredded plastic .
I will be from time to time pst about it something over here , if someone wants to help on that project . please contact me :

my site : www.shredding.pl
thingiverse - files to print : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6619967
email : szabla88@gmail.com

3 Likes

That is a very useful tool. I hope you get some traction on it. It would be very cool to feed the printers from trash. Like Back to the Future.

2 Likes

what size nozzle would that be fitted with?

1 Like

Pellet extruders are a thing already, but it would be super awesome to have something like that available for large format printing.

I’d love this option. I’ve even thought of things I’d start printing if only I had access to truly usable waste streams. PET, for example, making greenhouse panels out of the stuff that isn’t actually being recycled at this point.

There are some youtubers (brother make, IIRC) that use a panini press to recycle plastic. If you just wanted to make sheets, I don’t think a printer is the easiest way. You could (however) make lattice prints with less than solid infill with a printer. So there may be a use case for something lighter and stronger than solid material for something like a greenhouse panel.

Exactly what I have in mind for that scenario. Sheets are less interesting than functional/structural shapes that make use of waste material in a favorable way.

Back to the original post- @malyboa do you have this running on a machine yet? Any machine?

1 Like

Hello , I´ll post the updated design of it soon, afterwards - try to build the first prototype. But tommorow I am going on holidays. After i will be back ill start to work on it.

1 Like

It would be neat if you could make a proper screw using a 4th axis and a 1" bar of aluminum.

According to my armchair imagining, a thin channel makes a difference in getting the proper pressure/flow.

If you imagine two plates with a thin layer of fluid of high viscosity between them, then when you slide one plate past the other, the fluid (on average) will move half the distance of the plate. If you have a large gap and low-viscosity fluid, then maybe the fluid will move or maybe not, depending on the back-pressure. The plates have less “traction” on the fluid if the gap is larger.

A screw is shearing in more than one direction at a time but that’s the simplified version how I think of it.

Which is not to say it’s not a cool project with an off-the-shelf auger bit, but a 4th axis project that’s not a chess piece would also be cool.

1 Like

Hi , I heve been talking to a friend and we decided to - try in the begining coolling it with air . that is the first - version of air cooled hotend.
The barrel will be smaller and shorter , aluminium block ( heating unit ) - as well as small as possible , maybe - nozzle smaller.

1 Like

Questions:

• how will you avoid entrapping air in the auger section?
  • How will you ensure thermal isolation between hot end and pellet auger?
  • What parts exactly are going to be heated?
  • Have you estimated the total heater power needed?
  • Have you estimated what sections need cooling and how much heat rejection you will need for those?

Hi MakerJim .
Sorry for not replying to you .
i was busy with earning money :smiling_face_with_tear:

to your questions i will provide soon proof of concept - because i am at the moment estimating .
that there should be no air entraping by making it - ( loose )
thermal isolation should be secured by placing heating block close to the nozzle and in the upper sections 2 air fans.
heated will be the barrel abowe the - nozzle .
total heating power should be less than 100w

i will try to figure the last question out first when ill have my prototype buildt . and that should be soon .

best wishes radek …

1 Like