Windows 10 or Windows 11

95osr2 or 98se gets my vote! After that, XPsp2, 7, then 10. It seems like they could only get every other one right!

Lol, Iā€™m stil using windows 7 on all my machines, like a caveman.
Works great, in my opinion that still remains the best usable microsoft OS.

Iā€™ll keep using it until I really donā€™t have any other choice, any OS after 7 sucks IMO.

2 Likes

NLN8nrr

Just stumbled upon this. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Well, I finally took the plunge and changed one of my machines to Windows 11 a few days ago. I have to say, I have not found any negatives yet. The closest thing I can find is I typically set things to download to my desktop so I can deal with them and delete or file them away. Win11 tends to need a right click and refresh to see them. So it might be a good time for me to break that habit and use the downloads folder instead.

On the positive side, way more ā€œbloatā€ can be uninstalled. Actually, all that side of things seems highly refined. Removing startup programs, and not allowing some programs to run all the time is super easy now. There are tons of settings to dial things in the way you want. It really just kinda feels like a facelift of win10. I have not tried all of my programs yet, but so far everything works fine and some things use a win10 installer so it is not different enough for me to even worry about it.

I think they actually knocked it out of the park with this one. It feels like a better win10, nothing like win8. I turned off a bunch of stuff but I understand that being on by default.

1 Like

I bought a couple of little Mini PCs that came with 11 on them.

Theyā€™re Celeron processors, and will NOT run TinkerCAD, at all, but whether that is OS or the Celeron N5105, I canā€™t say for sure. I also only tried in Chrome, have not installed Firefox.

I think I preffer the start button in the corner, but cosmetic stuff like that is NBD. The control panel is getting a little removed from the things I often seem to want to do, maybe. I donā€™t miss 16 bit support much, there is exactly one program that I sometimes need it for, an old print server admin program, which handles the print server on my ancient HP LaserJet 4050. (Still running strong after all these years.) It was super annoying to make it work in 10 for the 2 times Iā€™ve needed it in the past 4 years, and 11 just wonā€™t. Eventually that hardware will die, I suppose, but that is from the era of ā€œThey donā€™t make 'em like that anymore.ā€ Nothing else Iā€™ve ever tried prints on transparent media like that one which I use for photoresist etching circuit boards.

I donā€™t like the ads in the taskbar with the weather, the constant attempts to ā€œUse recommended Browser settingsā€ and the insistence on using the Bing search engine for everything, including finding stuff on the drive.

Overall, Iā€™m becoming more and more likely to start just running Linux on everything, I think.

1 Like

There is a setting, left center or right. I was surprised by that since I hear so many complaints about the center thing. I am going to try the center spot for a while, because it intuitively seems more efficient, less mouse movement. Although when I do move to the left corner it feels further away, but you can do it blind, no precision is needed to find the corner. Like you said, NBD, but worth messing with.

Seems to be gone today, must have needed a reboot or something. Instant again.

I removed the widgets and un-installed the bing app now everything opens in Firefox and everything looks pretty standard and boring now.

I havenā€™t seen the recommended browser settings thing.

I even read windows will get native 7z support with the next minor update, so one less thing to install.

I just double checked without that bing app. All the settings help links even open in firefox. In win10 they all opened in edge no matter what I did.