Why am I getting inconsistencies in my spoilboard flattening cuts?

Hey guys, any ideas on what I can change or check to get these cuts consistent? They seem to get worse the longer I let the program run. Thank you!

It looks like you have some slop in the core. As you cut in one direction, the core is tilted, resulting in the bit biting deeper. As you go the other direction, the core is held straight, and therefore does not bite as deep.

As an experiment, using a piece of scrap MDF, try surfacing with lines running 90 degrees from this job.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking too. Do you think it could be loose x axis bearings?

1 Like

I don’t have a Lowrider, so I cannot say what in particular is causing this problem. I just had something similar happen with my Primo. Reach up and grab your router in the mount, then attempt to move it in all directions. I expect you will find some slop in one or more directions.

1 Like

The bearings on the LR3 are tightened with the bottom bolts. These need to be just tight enough to keep comtact with the rails of all 4 of the 608 skate bearings.

At the bottom of the router, try wiggling the core in and out. If you can do it, the bearings are too loose.

This can be from a number of reasons.

Most common would be the bearings being a bit loose.

Some.people have had trouble because their 3D printed braces were done on a printer that was not square.

Lastly it could be the beam twisting under load, but that would have worse artefacts near the center, and not so bad at the edges.

Probably you just need to snug up the adjustment bolts at the bottom of the core.

2 Likes

The braces were not as much as the problem as the whole core. :smiley: Speaking as “some people” here. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I did some digging and I think i found the primary cause of my issue. Part of it was being forced to use a battery powered router (albeit, I have a massive battery on it). Losing power as the cut goes on and not cutting as rapidly caused a slight amount of deflection BUT I think the majority of the issue is that I have wire mesh over my wires that are tucked behind my router and that caused the top mount of be slightly out of square. Will be doing more testing to confirm, but that seems to have really cut down on my issue.

1 Like

What CAM software are you using for the surfacing toolpath? Can you change the toolpath to only surface the spoilboard in one direction?