Who wants to vote for me?

I did not win. Worse, Bob didn’t either.

Dang

3 Likes

Crap… I was voting with 2 email (personal and work) every 25 hrs or so… and every tweet you and Ryan post I retweeted…
Sorry.

2 Likes

Well. I can’t say this enough. I have said ut everywhere a little differently. But thank you everyone for the support. It is pretty great to end up in second and third place, at least.

8 Likes

Just an update here. Bob reached out to Bruce Shapiro (the CEO/Founder of Sisyphus) and asked if I could get a table anyway. And Bruce said, “Yes”. They just sent me a confirmation today.

I made sandify because I was interested in the problem, and I’ve been working on it because I know it is interesting and useful to all of you. But I’ve never charged anything for it, and I licensed it MIT to make sure it has the greatest chance of being useful. Bob and a few others have volunteered to make it better and it is definitely better than I could have done by myself. There’s no financial motivation for any of that volunteering.

And yet, it is a successful project, and there are a few people who choose to donate to my efforts even though they don’t get anything directly for that money.

And Sisyphus has decided to send me a piece of hardware (a rather expensive one, really), as a thanks for this project. They didn’t have to do that. You might argue that they will get advantages from me having a table. But it is still a generous decision and it is kind.

And in these forums there are people who would rather spend their time helping someone else get to draw their first crown than work on another project for themselves.

So again, Thank you, everyone for your support. This is an excellent community and I am glad to be a part of it. I would like to take a moment and remind everyone where we are and how great it is to see so many people working together, having fun, and sharing the wealth (literally and figuratively) that we all have.

:pray: :clap: :smiley: :bowing_man:

23 Likes

Congrats Jeff. You and Bob both deserve one

5 Likes

Wow!

2 Likes

Wow - this is great news! It’s a super nice gesture of Sisyphus! Yes, they earn money, and they will gain some cred for sending you this gift. I still prefer to think of it as an acknowledgment and token of respect towards your contributions and to the spirit of open source and community sharing.

6 Likes

Such an awesome gesture. You are a well deserving individual, and I couldn’t agree with them more. So congratulations on winning the most awesome person table, the category that was made just for you!

Giving things away is such a tough thing as a business owner. Most will see it as some sort of angle on their part but I bet they just think you should have one to see what sort of madness pops out of your brain when presented with all the tools at your disposal.

7 Likes

Bruce said it was to thank me for adding support for the files. I believe him completely. I didn’t mean to make it sound like I didn’t. I was more imagining a skeptic’s argument. I am very grateful.

6 Likes

Congratulations @jeffeb3! That is so well deserved! :clap:t4:

A great gesture by Bruce, that is really awesome :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Sorry I jut saw this thread now, otherwise I would have absolutely voted for you.
But maybe it’s not too late? I heard that in the USA it’s possible to count votes days after an election and even vote after you’re dead :sweat_smile:

Anyway, kudos for a well deserved gift and bravo to Sisyphus for their generosity!

2 Likes

Just caught up with the news too, congratulations @jeffeb3, it’s lovely to see unsolicited reward for effort in this day and age. I did manage to squeak a few votes in I’m happy to say, but perhaps since they come from Australia they are considered to be postal votes and they’re still counting 'em! :wink:

1 Like

Whoa, careful guys! Politik sprechen ist verboten!

3 Likes

I just a shipping notification. You can bet I will be posting a pic or video or several for you all.

10 Likes

Here is a video of it running and my daughter watching it.

It has a raspberry pi in it, with a breakout board to connect to the rgb leds. There is a 12V brick and the black box is a 5V power supply for the pi. The controller is labelled sisyphus, so it must be a custom controller. It has two motors and two “endstop” sensors.

It has a neat app from the android store and I can reach the same interface from a browser. It is built really well. It definitely did not take long to set up.

11 Likes

9 Likes

Wow, sounds like a beta test version of christmas. Which reminds me: Time to think again about the cookie-dough project.

A very generous gesture, respect!

2 Likes

Awesome! Thank you for sharing the happiness :smiley: :clap:

2 Likes