Which board?

Hey guys, im about halfway through my lowrider build and im trying to work out which board to use. Seems the SKR pro 1.2 is quite hard to find because everytime i search for it im getting results for the 1.4. Could anyone tell me if the 1.4 is ok to use? What capabilities does the 1.4 have for future upgrades? I had an idea of using lasers to measure/find where the work piece is on the bed and also maybe to detect where the end of the tool bit is? Is this possible?

Thanks

Looks like the SKR Pro1.2 is available in the V1 shop.

1 Like

Yeah i saw that but im in the UK and the postage is quite expensive, plus i might have to pay more taxes when it lands in customs. The reason i ask about v1.4 is that it is cheaper in comparison and im thinking with it being a newer version it might have greater future expandability?

1 Like

@NeilBlain with the BTT SKR boards, you cannot look at the numbering system and think a 1.4 is newer than the 1.2. There is an SKR “PRO” which is v1.2. There are also SKR just SKR boards (not “PRO”) that have 1.3, 1.4, 1.4 TURBO, etc. These boards actually cam out before the SKR “PRO” v1.2 did. I know from reading the forums that others have used the 1.4 board, but I don’t think V1 keeps precompiled firmware for them (I could be absolutely wrong and hope @jeffeb3 or @vicious1 will correct me) and you may need to sort that out yourself. Just keep that in mind.

2 Likes

Ahh i see, thankyou for clarifying that for me. Ill order the 1.2 from V1 if thats the case.

Many thanks!

1 Like

BIGTREETECH Octopus is another option that a few on the forum have been using as well. Ryan was looking at moving to this when BTT was talking about stopping production on the SKR Pro1.2 but they have extended the Pro’s life. So you may want to look into that as an option.

2 Likes

Also BTT SKR3 is a good option I think. I used SKR1.4, but not sure if you’re talking about future expansion what that can do. If you’re worried about future additional motor slots you can also use BTT exp mot V1.0. for less than 10€. There are plenty of unused pins I think for any expansion but without digging further into that I don’t want to gamble my life on it :slight_smile: