What's this tiny magnet for?

there was a tiny cylindrical magnet stuck to the alligator clip of the touch plate in my lowrider parts. what is its function?

1 Like

You can clip the alligator clip to the magnet and then just stick the magnet to your bit, makes it a lot easier to put on and off. Can be a bit fiddly getting used to it but once you are its real nice

1 Like

I never quite figured this out myself. The magnet doesn’t stick to the endmill too well, but it sticks to the collet nut pretty well. Would that work?

2 Likes

It does for me. Run some test, trigger it early and make sure all is well before you trust it on a workpiece

1 Like

Yes it will
It will conduct the electric signal through it into the metal strip.
Don’t over think it.
It’s basically a switch one end is the thin metal strip the other is the magneticaligator clip.
When they touch the circuit board says hey I am here I have completed the circuit.
The software says that’s the surface now subtract the thickness and it’s the very precise top

2 Likes

I thought that might be its use but its so wee…like a grain of rice LOL

I attach mine to the collet nut and works fine.

Not if you paint or powdercoat the collet nut. If it’s bare metal, it will be fine.

I do recomment that you test by checking end stop / probe status before you do a probing operation with it that way. If there isn’t good electrical contact between the bit and the collet nut, it could fail, or be too high impedance, but this applies to any other attachment method as well.

1 Like