What’s happening here?

I’m trying to cut a big piece in hardwood ply DOC 4mm with a 6mm single flute endmill.

Somehow it’s of in the X and or Y axis. And I can’t see what’s wrong.

What feed rate are you using? You are skipping steps.

1 Like

I’m using the settings from the basic milling and Estlcam setup.

I was first using a DOC of 6mm 1x mill diameter and later changed it back to 4mm

Check the grub screws, seriously. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just did they’re as tight as could be.

The steps lost are mainly in the X axis both I checked both X and Y axis

Did your CNC run into something? Did it skip steps?

What control board are you running?

I’m using the skr 1.2 pro

No not that I can see, there’s nothing in the way.

Did you follow these instructions and bend the pin?

https://docs.v1e.com/electronics/skrpro/

Sorry, that is not what i thought it was. It is only for homing, but go through there and see if you missed anything.

Oh and i see this is not a new build, i am way off in left field.

I just read an other post about skipped steps in the X direction, and they had a dull bit. This might also be the case for me.

Since it happens at different points of the sheet but after some time with this bit.
What speed setting should I use on the makita? It’s on 2 now?

So I turned the makita down to 1 and changed the bit out. It seems to work fine now.

Here is a picture of the previous two bits

Seems like they’re burned

2 Likes

Yeah they look pretty burned :confused:
The second one doesn’t even look flat anymore on the bottom

Concerning speed, ideally you want to set it up so that you get chips, not dust.
It all depends on material, bit (upcut/downcut/straight, finishing bit or roughing bit, number of flutes), DOC and cutting speed, so it’s a bit hard to give a standard value

Here’s what it should look like with a brand new bit and 3mm DOC on pine
Of course it’s a bit harder to tell in MDF or plywood :confused:

2 Likes

Yeah I recon these are just cheap bits.

If anyone knows what bits to get in Europe, I would appreciate that.

I feel I’m going to burn through these quickly. Im already on bit 4 of 5.

I bought all my endmills here: Sorotec Online-Shop - Sorotec Online-Shop, except my inlay endmill.

I am still using my first 6mm one 3 years later… I thought about getting a new one though. :smile:

Also, one of my burr bits is done for after countless of hours, but that’s been it so far.

1 Like

So far I’ve tried 2 brands available on amazon

• Spetool : not very cheap, around 29-25€ per bit, they’re pretty good, got 1-2 month of use out of each
  • hozly: wear a lot faster, but 32€/5 bits
1 Like

Yeah those were €17 for 5 and I think that this ply is particularly hard on them.

1 Like

Thanks, I ordered some I hope they last me a lot longer.

1 Like

Okay, I’m starting to lose confidence here , not yet panicking but I’m struggling.

Got new bits and the same results, burned endmills these are my settings.

The Makita is at speed 1

Hmm. Does this help? Below is a screen shot of my tool crib in ESTLcam, and the two entries for 1/4" bits, show depth per pass of 4.x mm (similar to your screen shot of 4.0mm per pass), and my feed rates are 34.5 mm/sec for MDF, and 38.4 mm/sec for plywood, and my RPM’s on the router are at about 17,000 for both.

On a Makita router (and on a Kobalt too I think), 17,000 RPM is about at the #3 speed setting.

If your feed rate is too slow, even a low RPM speed can still burn a bit.

The feed rate and RPM have to be taken and considered together, hence the moniker “feeds and speeds.”

To get the heat out of the bit, the bit needs to be taking fairly large bites out of the material on each rotation. The biting action of the cuts, transfers heat from the bit into the chips being cut out.

1 Like

Thanks ill give those settings a try later this afternoon. Let’s hope they work