What all to purchase from V1engineering for V3?

Im on the site right now ready to purchase items to build a V3. I currently have the V3 hardware kit, 24v power supply, 1/8" dewalt collet, SKR pro kit, ESPUI headless, Estop button, steel XZ plates and one of each router bits.

What else should i get for a fresh build?

Does this system use endstops? If so how many do i need? I know my 3d printers only use min endstops…can you use min and max endstops on the v3?

Is the tiny touch plate a homing probe? Would it be worth it for a newb or should i just get use to manually zeroing out the bits?

If i went with a 4x8 build should i get more GT2 belt than whats included?

I have my 3d printers printing the necessary parts now so im anxious to get going lol.

Thanks

4 Likes

My order…

Subsequently bought ESP01S from V1E for wireless jogging (using phone/tablet).

Got the probe, faster than trying to do Z by eye.

Only need 5 end stops, but order an extra, the Y-axis Endstops are exposed and vulnerable to getting knocked/damaged if putting LR3 away regularly.

Kit has enough belt for 4x8 or 4x9 even.

4 Likes

Does this system use endstops?

Endstops are not required, but almost all builds I see these days have endstops. Endstops are used for squaring the Y and Z axes of the machine. You will need 5 limit switches. V1 sells both the bare lever model and the roller model. I’ve never seen someone prefer one over the other. You will also want five of the endstop plug wires. These will help match the limit switch wiring to the stepper wiring (in terms of length).

Is the tiny touch plate a homing probe? Would it be worth it for a newb or should i just get use to manually zeroing out the bits?

There is a bit of a ramp up using a touch plate on the Lowrider since it uses probing rather than homing, but it is something a beginner can master with a little bit of effort. I would recommend getting one.

If i went with a 4x8 build should i get more GT2 belt than whats included?

I just ran the numbers on the Lowrider calcultor. A 4’ x 8’ build uses 7.3 meters of belt. The kit comes with 8 meters, so you should have enough.

Estop button

I hesitate to talk you out of anything V1 sells since I really appreciate the machine and the community, but you really need to think about your e-stop solution. I personally want any e-stop to kill both the control board and the router. The primary way to make that happen is to have a switch to kill the MAINS (120V AC) power to both the router and the power supply for the control board. While the e-stop that Ryan sells will interrupt MAINS just fine, it is a raw switch without any housing, so you are going need to figure out how to make this switch kill everything but also be housed so that it is safe.

You might be better off just mounting a power strip with the switch in a very easy to reach position. Or there are e-stop switches sold with housings for not a lot of money at common retailers.

What else should i get for a fresh build?

You are going to want some way to protect your wires. Cable chains and sleeving are common solutions. V1 sells sleeving.

V1’s router bits are quality at a decent price. After I broke one of the bits I purchased with my kit order, I replaced it with a set of cheapies off Amazon, and I was not near as happy.

3 Likes

Well im sold lol. Purchasing now thanks for the help

4 Likes

I guess i procrastinated too long and there were only 2 endstop plugs left. Is there an alternative i could get to use the endstops?

1 Like

The plugs have Dupont connections on one end. You can buy a kit for putting Dupont connections on wires for about $10. I have such a kit, but I use it so infrequently that I struggle with putting the ends on. I have short Dupont wires with connectors I use for my Arduino projects, so I find it easier to extend these wires if I need longer connections. Amazon does carry longer Dupont wires (500mm and 1000mm), but you have to buy 120 at a time for $14 to $20. You can just solder on some wires to the male Dupont end of the harness, but then you would need to unsolder the connection if you need to redo your machine for any reason.

1 Like

Well i received my order in and apparently the box got wet and tore open. The post office taped it all up. It looks like i got everything in except the hex bolts. Does anyone know how many and what size i need so i can start building?

Ouch. I really hate having something I’m anticipating arrive damaged or missing pieces. As for amounts, you can look at the store listing to see what should be in the box. Here is the bolts/screws section for the Lowrider:

1 Like

If they are not in the box I can send a set today. The holiday shipping nightmare is over and it should arrive much faster this time.

2 Likes

Just in time for the Chinese new year!

1 Like

That is luckily only on my end…I have 50 SKR’s that have not shipped yet…if they do not leave today or tomorrow I will be bummed.

Chinese New Year only starts on the 22nd this year, doesn’t it?

1 Like

Two of my vendors said they leave the 7th? They stretching the holiday on me??

Looks like the 14th to the 5th, https://chinesenewyear.net/

That is cool hopefully it is the 14th not the 7th.

Oh, they have preparations before that. That’s cheating… :smiley: My rails are at the harbour or the airport, if I am reading it right. :sweat_smile: They might make it.

My rails left the country! Phew.

2 Likes

Hey, I just deleted the posts about an item that is not needed. It was causing problems and order delays. No big deal, just letting you know if your post is missing, I deleted it.

Feels weird. I am not sure how many posts I have ever deleted but I am sure I could count them on one hand.

2 Likes