Weight reduction of the Z axis using springs

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering whether anyone has already considered whether and how they could take the weight of the Z axis off the lead screw/stepper motors. I’m currently thinking about using springs on the left and right of the lead screw to push the stub upwards, but the exact implementation and sourcing of possible springs is proving quite difficult.

The reason for my mod:
Due to my not quite usual form factor (long X axis) I decided to work with stainless steel instead of conduit. However, the length and the material push the installed steppers to their limit due to the weight. Lost steps are not completely out of the question, even though I don’t currently have a Maktika milling machine on it or the struts installed, which will mean additional weight.

Unfortunately, my CAD skills don’t currently extend beyond a lot of trivial stuff with endless trial and error in tinkercad. So if anyone has already had to deal with the same topic or is also interested in the subject, I would appreciate any input. If not, I will share my progress on this subproject (as soon as it is ready).

Unfortunately, my CAD skills don’t currently extend beyond some trivial tasks involving endless trial and error in tinkercad. So if anyone has already had to deal with the same topic or is also interested in the subject, I would appreciate any input. If not, I’ll still share my progress on this subproject (as soon as it’s ready) and look forward to any feedback. :slight_smile:

To explain a little about what I have done to my machine and why I chose a long X Axis:
Unfortunately, I don’t have the space to permanently set up a milling machine with a large table. After thinking for a long time about how I could build a table for a larger format (made of aluminum extrusion? Wood? With a swiveling mechanism?) I stumbled across clamp saw guides (I can’t post links unfortunately but you could just search for “Clamp N Cut”).

I thought to myself: I already have a great table on which I have breakfast every day!
The idea is, whenever I need the machine, all I need is an ordinary dining table, the saw guide rails that hold the Y belts, a few minutes to attach them and to set up the machine and off I go.

After thinking for a while about how to modify all the relevant parts for my idea and convincing my girlfriend why it might be in her interest to share her table with my machine from time to time, I’m finally here:
All axes are moving!

Now I’m in the phase: Details. For me, projects are either finished when I lose all motivation (I’m not there yet) or when I can’t think of anything else that could be done (I’m not quite there yet either).

Again, as soon as I’m really finished and satisfied with my machine at some point, I’ll share whatever I made so far.

Edit: This obviously is neither my dining room nor my dining table but an old door I had in my basement which I unfortunatly can’t keep in that spot forever.

1 Like

Hey Philipp, nice name, with the correct Greek spelling… :stuck_out_tongue:

But regarding the topic: My LowRider is, like yours, the full span, also with stainless steel. And it does not make any difference for the motors, they really don’t care about the weight at all, see here:

That’s an extra 8-10kgs next to the Makita. So the problem must lie somewhere else. Are the leadscrews binding for instance?

Oh, and it is kind of missing for the instructions, but the couplers are getting pulled up a little so they definitely can’t act as springs. So adding springs is completely the opposite of what you’d want to do. :smiley:

Thats quite impressive. I can’t really see an issue anywhere with my lead screw but I can’t really rule out any issues with them. I kept them from my old Anet printer and reused them now. I might just get new ones and start from there. They won’t break the bank after all.

For the springs: I’m was not thinking about taking the whole weight off of the screw but most of it. That way the couplers wouldn’t be affected (I assume atleast)

It’s about the springs pushing up and messing it up more than the weight could I think. :slight_smile: But as I said: it’s not about the weight. Ryan has a video of his lifting even more.