Warped parts?

Getting higher quality prints from my ender 5 plus. I still haven´t tried the primafix bed adhesion on the blue painters tape.

It seems to stick really well without it. 5 more to go in red. Then 2 in orange is the plan. I think I’ll do the core in orange and the rest of the parts black.

Tried with 0.3 layer height (for the first time) and this is what I got.

Not sure what happened here?

First layer at 0.3mm went fine, I then left the room where the printer is in and saw this in octoprint.

Too warm?

That part looks way over-extruded. From my experiences, that is most often caused by either extruder steps/mm being too high, or wet filament causing boiling/expansion. The former is easily fixed doing a calibration measurement and adjusting eeprom settings. For the latter it’s best to dehydrate the roll if you can, otherwise try reducing nozzle temps to minimize any boiling.

[edit: I should add that the amount the filament expands while in the melt zone of the nozzle can vary quite a bit between different filament types, brands, and colors. Some filaments are so bad they require a change in print parameters to print well. Higher accelerations, faster travel speed, slower print speed… all helps reduce expansion issues.]

1 Like

It is getting late here so I´ll try again tomorrow with a 0.2 layer height. With this 0.6mm nozzle I have only tried 0.2 layer height.

The motor for the extruder and the extruder is pretty new. I hope that everything works again tomorrow.

I just had to check, seems like the combination of 0.6 nozzle and 70% infill was the culprit (most likely).

Now a quick testprint of a print that I sliced earlier today and it seems to work like before.

I am printing PLA right now at 60 mm/s. But I think I could go for 80mm/s aswell.

What settings do you use for PLA?

Printing a bunch of calibration cubes, test temp towers and test retraction towers helped me figure out temp/speed/flow/retraction and many other settings I could live with for the specific Overture PLA I used. Apparantly even different colors of the same PLA can make a difference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMSp1WDqtpI, so consider testing, tweaking, testing, tweaking before printing parts. At times, it feels like we need the patience of a saint, and perseverance of a pitbull for this hobby.

Shared cura profile used to print my LR3 Core at Purple-black-rainbow LR3 🤷‍♂️ , build video @ https://youtu.be/FJ7nYio8oOE - #9 by azab2c it’s far from perfect, but worked for my particular Ender 3 Max. 0.6mm nozzle, 0.32 layer height, a snail pace of 45mm/s speed, slower for initial layer.

Rightly/wrongly, I configure almost everything to be divisible by 0.04mm after seeing videos by Chep and others about minimum stepper motion increments. Mentioning because I see folks using 0.5mm nozzles, curious if they know about, but disagree with, 0.04mm being a magic number?

If changing infill percentage “fixes” things, then you’re likely overexruding.
It really calls for a good calibration. Ryan has links on the site, the teaching tech stuff- if your printer is dialed in you would be getting good results at varying layer heights, infill percentages, number of shells, etc.

I´m printing a calibration cube right now and I´m planning on printing a few more tests today. Maybe a speed test and a temp tower.

I did print a 30mm cube and x,y and z were all in the 30.0x range. I´ll post the results from the calibration cube here in a new post.

Are you using ironing? And monotonic top/bottom order?

And are you adjusting flow to 0.9 for PLA?

40mm cube. I think that my settings are pretty good?

Was that at 0.3mm layer height? What infill?

My first thought was a slicer setting, like nozzle size was wrong. But that test cube looks ok.

1 Like

The cube does look good. I am thinking about replacing the z rods though to get rid of some Z banding/ringing.

That was with 0.2 layer height and 10% infill. I haven’t tried 0.3mm layer height today yet. Trying to get the most out of the red filament before it runs out. Then I am changing to black or orange. Haven’t decided yet.

I guess the logical thing (like Spock) would be to try 0.3mm layer height again and see what happens?

Could I have a 0.4 nozzle and print 0.6 walls? :stuck_out_tongue:

Or is that impossible? And perhaps a stupid question?

I did test prints for 0.3mm and 0.4mm layer height. Both work and I think that I like 0.3mm layer height better then 0.2mm.

I was planning on printing the core in 0.2mm layer height but now I might go for 0.3mm or even 0.4mm layer height.

Trying the skirt and outlines on the core, I think I am ready to print it. I just have to change to a new filament with a different color.

Getting some nice first layer for the core, printing in orange pla. I did a testprint and the bed was off in one of the corners so I am glad that I cought that uneven bed with my testprint.

Now 17h to go before the core hopefully is printed in good quality in 0.3mm layer height. Seems to take around 125m of filament.

1 Like

Good luck! See you on the other side :wink:

This is by far the longest print I have done, 17 hours and 125m of filament.

I am letting the build plate cool so I haven’t inspected the core yet.

Thinking if I should print some parts in orange or change the color of the filament to black.

4 Likes

Is PLA waterproof? I have some tape residue and I am wondering if I can rinse the PLA core in warm water?

What do you think is the best way to clean blue tape of 3d printed objects?

Cutting some pipe, here is the 600mm scrap of my 2000mm 25mm OD tubing.

Testing the braces and they slide on better then they clip on.