WA Burly to Primo Upgrade

Steps 2 and 3 of the re-wiring process are complete. Got the relay hooked up so that it will activate with an M3 and deactivate on the M5. Using pins 2 and 4 (ground and enable signal) of the Motex2 connector on the Rambo. Took a few tries to get the marlin settings eight so that the signaling was correct. Initially it was turning on on M5 and off on M3.

With that handled, I turned my attention to the enclosure for all of this, starting with the back panel. I didn’t realize until after I dismissed cutting that there was a tremendous amount of slack in the belts and looseness in the bearings. I could have sworn I tightened it all up the other day, but the whole core was rocking slightly, and half the belts were hanging kinda limp. That probably explains why the straight cuts were so rough, and why all the holes were 1-2 mm undersized.

Anyways, enjoy some pics of the current state!

5 Likes

I had the same problem. I noticed that between the time I first built the machine and when I went to face the spoil board that some of the belts were loose and two bearings weren’t touching.

I plan on checking everything before I cut for a while and see if it continues. I’m hoping things settle in after a few cuts like they did on the Burly.

Work on the control box continues slowly. I designed and printed some wire clips to keep the electrical wires in the box neat. I also built the front portion of the case, including the mount for the E-stop as well as laying out where the LCD screen will be mounted.

The mount for the LCD screen is printing now. Once it is mounted, I’ll start focusing on getting the main top assembly finished so that everything is covered and protected from dust. Only thing still to figure out at this point is airflow and cooling.

4 Likes

Spent the day finishing up the control box. Had some spacing issue on the backplate between the power inlet switch and the outlet box, so I rebuilt the back end of the box. Moved the outlet close to the middle, and left more room for the inlet and switch. And, since I tightened up all the belts and re-tensioned the core, the result was way better than the previous attempts.

This job took about 13 minutes to cut, and only about 10 minutes of sanding to cleanup all the fuzzies. Aviation connectors fit like a glove this time, and the opening for the electrical box only needed minor adjustment with the box cutter to clear out some cut cut pieces.

For anyone keeping score, I have fusion setup to use the 3mm (not 1/8" like it claims on the package) bit and run it at 1000mm/min (~16mm/sec) with a 6mm DOC. The trochoidal clearing of the connector recess isn’t nearly that fast because of all the ups and downs of the Z-axis, but once it starts cutting the holes for the outlet, switch, and the outside cutout, it flies. Only artifacts of that speed are the slight divots where it stops to leave the tabs.

Next up was building the top cover to enclose and protect all the electronics. There isn’t any ventilation in the box at the moment, but I haven’t quite figured out how to add it without allowing all the saw dust and wood chips to also get inside.

I printed out the mount that goes with the old display holder from my Burly and mounted it on the front. I was concerned about the size of the mount and how far out it pushed the display, but in practice is has worked out well.

Inside the box, everything has been attached to the base except for the power supply for the Rambo. Printed a custom mount for the Rambo to allow me to attach it to the base along with cable clips to route all the 120V wiring through the case and keep things clean.

In the final layout, the Rambo is in the back right next to the back plate to shorten the mess of wires that connect the stepper drivers and endstops to the aviation connectors on the back.

In front of that is the Solid State Relay that controls the two outlets on the back. The router gets plugged into this to allow automatic control. Once I figure out how dust collection is going to be handled, I could use the second outlet to have the vacuum come on at the same time as the router. I just need to figure out if the circuit can handle the surge of both those devices powering on simultaneously.

On the back left is a terminal block for the neutral side of the 120V. It connects to the power inlet and both electrical boxes.

In front of the neutral block is the internal outlet. This is where the power supplies for the Rambo and Raspberry Pi are plugged in. It powers up as soon as the power switch on the inlet is turned on (assuming the E-Stop isn’t pushed).

In the front right is the Raspberry Pi running V1Pi. It is hooked up to the Rambo and my Wifi so that I can connect to it and control the CNC from a laptop when necessary. I need to find a way to use it to flash firmware to the Rambo so that I can compile on the computer, then upload and flash without having to disconnect the Rambo and drag it and it’s power supply inside to update it.

On the front left is the terminal block for the 120V hot side. The Hot side comes in through the inlet, runs the length of the box through the E-Stop, then into the terminal block. From there it is connected to the SSR and then to the outlets on the back. It is also connected to the internal outlet.

A lot of words to describe everything. If you have questions about anything, let me know.

5 Likes

This is really cool! I need to figure out all of this stuff…

Finished up the Position-o-Matic 3000 for my MPCNC. The three buttons allow you to home XY, home Z, and zero the XY axes.

It works great. It will definitely make the setup process of zero I out the CNC faster than using the screen.

6 Likes

Ok. Now redesign the lid and embed the text into the print instead of the labels :slight_smile:

I love it. How is the firmware handling the home and reset buttons?

I have an Arduino Nano inside the Position-o-Matic that handles the buttons and LEDs. When the buttons are activated, it sends GCode to the RAMBo via the serial connection. The same way the original non-Marlin Joystick was doing it. It’s programmed so that the buttons only work if you are also holding the enable button to prevent accidental activation.

3 Likes

I considered it, but I’ve already printed 4 lids and two boxes, and I’m ready to be done with this project. Maybe later though. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Sounds like it’s time to play with milling! Get yourself some aluminum plate, mill some raised brands, and melt your labels into the case! :smiley:

I like the labels.

Brand that puppy!!

Thanks. I use only the highest class white paper labels on my projects. :smile: I still need to design and print out a Position-o-Matic 3000 sticker to go on the front of the box though.

1 Like

I based the Arduino switch on the one used by Arminth in his controller. Just the button handling, none of the positioning.

1 Like

Nice build! Waiting for the 10mm belts and idlers with everything else sitting ready here, I have started to tear down my burly today and remounting the first Primo parts. Everything is going extremely smooth and easy at the moment. I have one question : is it OK to keep the burly Z-axis? I tried to mount it in the new core and it fits like a glove. I couldn’t see many obvious changes to it and keeping it would have the advantage that I could keep all my tool mounts!
Any feedback appreciated!

Cheers and happy cutting (and joysticking ;))!

Armin

1 Like

Yes, that’s the only interchangeable part between the Primo and Burly/525 (OK, except maybe the feet). And it’s the whole assembly.

You can but if I have made a new tool mount for your tool the new primo one should bring the tool closer to the center=more rigid in the place it is most important.

As an alternate to using the Burly Z-axis, you can mount the Burly Mounting Plate to the Primo Z-axis. Ryan left the hole spacing in the tubing the same between the two machine. This solution gains you some cutting area and perhaps some rigidity and you can still use your old mounts. The downside (which also occurs if you use the Burly z-axis) is the one @vicious1 mentions…and you have to print the Core and a few other parts as well.

Just confirming for anyone else reading the thread. I had the exact same issue you started the thread with, loose pipes in the core clamps. The same solution worked for me as well. Loosen the bolts, snug the tension bolt up slightly, check fit, repeat. By the end I was between 1/8th and 1/4 turn past initial snug. Everything is running smoothly now.

1 Like