Vinyl drag knife adapter to make cheer signs

Many thanks for all the informatinve posts and the Drag Knife/Vinyl instruction page at
Drag Knife/Vinyl - V1 Engineering Documentation !

My wife’s cheerleading team needed new signs to use in their routine, and her usual supplier kept delaying her order. I didn’t know anything about making vinyl cutouts, but I had a vague recollection of posts about adapting an LR to a vinyl cutter. Reading up on the docs here and some general ‘how to vinyl’ YouTube videos, it’s a testament to the LR’s capabilities that it took just day or so full time to go from knowing nothing to a collection of signs:
![FusionView|690x454]

“GAN” is short for the town of Gananoque: that full name would never have fit on the signs… :slight_smile:
Hardware: for the LR2, I tried some of the drag knife adapters posted, but I found they were too flexible. I remixed @DougJoseph 's version so it was a solid mount, included a deeper notch for the wide shoulder on the knife unit I bought, and could be attached just with a thick rubber band instead of zip ties:

Mounting and cutting workflow: essentially the same as in the V1 docs, except I used a Cricut sticky cutting pad to mount the vinyl on while cutting, instead of taping to a mirror.

Software: InkScape for the lettering and filleting the tight corners to make the drag motion smoother; EstlCAM to generate the gcode.

Comment: it was a pleasure to hear the LR working away without the router and vacuum din!

12 Likes

So cool!! Great job!!

Neat! Can’t wait to try out my drag knife. Thanks for pointing out the link!
I noticed Dollar Tree store ($1.25 Tree now :money_with_wings: ) has vinyl sheets, so walked out with an armload!

I noticed Dollar Tree store ($1.25 Tree now :money_with_wings: ) has vinyl sheets

Thanks for the tip! I was in a rush so I went with Michael’s because I knew they carried vinyl, transfer paper, etc. but their prices are definitely on the expensive side.

I was surprised at their selection too, they have permanent and temporary adhesive, and transfer paper too. Haven’t compared it to more expensive options, but seems to work great.
I cut some on my laser cutter until I was informed that’s a big no-no for vinyl. “Combusts and reacts with oxygen in the environment to produce highly toxic chlorine gas and hydrochloric acid” doesn’t sound ideal even with an enclosure… :skull_and_crossbones: So, drag knife it is!

2 Likes

Not just bad for your lungs, bad for the mechanisms inside the laser.

2 Likes

I know peiple who run a sign shop, theybhave several lasers, and say to never cut vinyl with them, but also said for a hobbyist doing one or two square feet per week with an evacuation fan, it would take “a while” before detrimental effects were noticeable.

Personally though, I decided to stick with the “Never do that”.

1 Like

As adults, we all get to set our own risk tolerances. I’m in the “never laser cut vinyl” club myself.

1 Like

Treat everything in the shop like it’s trying to kill you

Poisoning included

I’m a bit skeptical when it comes to products that even say they have a “laser safe option”