Video of Lowrider2 and Lowrider3 on the same table

Lowrider Video

This is a concept video of two Lowrider CNCs on the same table doing different jobs at the same time. When it came time to upgrade from Lowrider 2 to Lowrider 3 I had 2 choices. For approximately $700 I could build a new Lowrider and keep the old one. For a few hundred dollars less I could upgrade the old. I chose to keep the old and this video shows why. Perhaps I just have too much time on my hands but hopefully this video will spur on some new ideas on the workflow end of the equation.

5 Likes

I love the concept. I know someone (can’t remember who now) was gonna look at redesigning some lr3 parts to run two on the same table. I’m intrigued to see how it treats you in the long run!

TBH the LR3 should not need any modification to run 2 on the same table
Just add a second one on the same belt and you’re good to go…

You may just need to add some kind of endstop at Y-max for the second one (I’ve done this on my table and it’s pretty simple)

I may do something like this at some point with a simplified fixed-z LR3 for my laser

1 Like

I guess that would work wouldn’t it

I was thinking you’d have to reverse the sides so the rail is on x min and have to do some kinda custom mount for the belts for the end stops/whatnot. But that’s not really needed so long you reverse the homing and that custom mount for the endstop

Yes it would work. I thought about it and decided that leaving the Lowrider 2 in place added a lot utility for very little modification. Since my y axis wheels of the two machines operate on different planes it allows me to keep them in the same direction. In addition if I want the whole table back for some reason I can just remove the board that the LR3 runs on and then I am completely back to the old set up. Or just pop of the LR2 and leave the board in place. I didn’t do anything special to allow this to happen. As you can see I have a Shaper workstation mounted on one end which does not conflict with either machine and can stay in place even if either machine is removed. It also faces the work that is being done. If I have any plans it will be to upgrade the surfaces to some of the interesting approaches to CNC tables on this forum. Just the top not the frame. I do a lot of inlay work and having one machine with a spindle and the other with a laser will expedite that process.

1 Like