Vevor VFD Cable Cover

I was hoping someone who is good at designing 3D stuff for a 3D printer can assist me in making a cable cover for my VFD.
Attached are photos of measurements.
As you can see in photos i need to 3D print a cover to cover all the cables.
I was thinking a 115mm deep, 84mm Wide, 30mm height with flanges for me to screw into the MDF board.
Can anyone whip something up for me? Would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Quick and dirty to your spec:

The walls are 2mm thick, and the total height is 30mm. Let me know if you want changes.

VFDCableCover.zip (3.0 KB)

6 Likes

I know it’s quick and dirty, but perhaps a vent in the top to match the one that’s being covered would be a beneficial mod?

2 Likes

You are a champion! Thank you so much.
Vent is a good idea, but that might affect the integrity of the cover?
I really need to learn how to design 3D stuff! If that’s quick and dirty, then I could only imagine how slow and clean would be. You truely are a champion for helping me out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is a version with vents. Given how I had the brightness and contrast set on my monitor, I did not even see the vents. That was a good catch by Peter. The vents shouldn’t impact the integrity, and it might help prevent heat buildup in the VFD.

VFDCableCover.zip (20.2 KB)

3 Likes

Very well done! I was in the mood too, but you beat me by and hour! :smiley:

1 Like

If it helps, you guys are all champions for helping a brother out. :slight_smile:

Ok so all printed, only issue I have is at the front and sides it tends to lean down (keep in mind the pics are of the vfd upside down) which creates a gap which is expected as nothing is supporting the front of the cover… Maybe need to have an overlap to go over the vfd all around? This would mean the sizes would need to accomodate to have the overlap.
Also walls are a tad flimsy. So might need to increase wall size.

So maybe instead of 30mm height, 50-60mm to allow 20-30mm overlap. And width of 84mm internally. To allow it to go over the vfd. And 116mm internal depth for it to overlap at the front?

Maybe just glue or screw a right angle bracket on the VFD front face (which is in itself removeable) so you can secure your existing cover with a small self tapper.

1 Like

1 Like

This new version is 84mm x116mm internally. It is 55mm tall externally (I split the difference in your range of numbers). I removed most of the chamfer on the front two corners so that it would not interfere with sliding over the device.

The thin walls were an error on my part. The previous version should have had 2mm walls, and that is corrected with this version.

Changes are quick and easy, so don’t hesitate to ask.

VFDCableCover.zip (20.9 KB)

4 Likes

Perfect!
Attached photos.
Only thing I would improve in this is maybe making them flanges a tad thicker as when screwing up, it did crack but it’s still doing its job so I’m happy with that. :slight_smile: thanks again Robert, really appreciate it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did this one years ago but you may have to resize it.

Couvercle Inf Convertisseur 380v.zip (786.7 KB)

I really like Eric’s (@WildBear) cover, but it would be hard for me to model something like it (or modify his) without having the VFD to measure. Here is an update to the cover that has flanges 4mm wider, and a bit thicker. I’m including it for future readers of this topic. Note, it appears you used wood screws to attach the cover. These screws will tend to split 3D printed items no matter the thickness. Typically, I use sheet metal screws for screwing through PLA.

VFDCableCover.zip (21.6 KB)