VEVOR router unboxing-ish

So I have decided to use the VEVOR router mainly due to the $$ invoved with the makita.

So what you get in your box will vary but here is what i got.

So i ordered it with all the extras, that mainly is different bases, from large to small.
Apparently there is smaller 1/4 collet, but still have to figire that bit out.

I will update with performance.

4 Likes

Was looking at the same router, or the katsu one on Amazon. Keep us updated on how this one performs, i’m curious :smile:

1 Like

I have purchased VEVOR tools/machines before, and have generally been quite happy. Does this router have variable speed control?

Hey doug, yep.

I expect it will do ok. I am not really going to be pushing that hard.
I expect that the run out wont be the same as a makita / dewalt etc.

So it will get the cnc cutting and when i start getting it dialed in for doing some inlays it will really tell how its going to perform.

3 Likes

I think this machine is yet another clone of Makita, Katsu, router11… no?

Right. So how do Chinese clones make money selling essentially the same products for cheaper? Increase the tolerances on things like bearings, bushings and gaps. Many trim router jobs use bits that have a bearing rider on them, so some extra runout doesn’t really hurt the end result.

Some of these clones will be just fine. Another of the same brand might be closer to the edges of those tolerances. The name brand units tend to be more accurate

1 Like

Tolerances… Mmmm… Trigger words…

Sorry, just got back from a business trip where we talked about our product. Which does tolerance analysis. (The boss-man was saying that nearly every seat design for any American car has had its design go through our software; and our newest team member is a refugee from Molex, yes the connector people.)

Which means that these knock offs aren’t doing any tolerance analysis, or if they are, they’re clearly changing the failure severity modes, bumping up the tolerance values, lowering target Cp, and ignoring criticality across the board. And they aren’t even looking at as-manufactured data… At least, not in a meaningful way (did you know that Molex uses CT scanners to do their manufacturing metrology?).

Oh, lordy… I need to go watch some TV or something… My head is still swimming in work stuff!

2 Likes

yep, just another clone.
People say “oh it comes of the same assembly line” but even if they do, what do they think they can/ dont swap out the bits for cheaper ones. sheesh. people are scary…
:thinking: :grin: :rofl:

1 Like

It may well be that they do analyze them, just… with a lower MTBF, and higher allowance for runout and bearing failure. It could well be that in the manufacturing range, if you get one of the best clones, it will be a more trustworthy machine than the worst one that Makita allows off of their assembly line. The vast majority of the cases though the Makita would be a better product, and if you got the Makita at its worst, it would either be tolerable, or Makita would send you another one.

Wider tolerances can be OK. All of these machines are plus or minus a certain amount, they have to be. It just means that we as end users have to put up with more uncertainty in what we build and how long our machines will last.

That’s what I said. I just said it in really technical enjinere spek.

Either all that, or they’re building their tools from the manufacturing rejects of the big names…

So how is the router working out for you?

Hi Riley,

Well work and personal life has got in the way a little bit, so I have not done much work with it.
But with the little bit I have done with it, I cant see any issues at all.

I have used a 1/8, 1/4 and a 4mm collet in it supplied via a local supplier (Adams bits ) and there have been no issues.

In saying that, the 4mm bit and 4mm collet got a bit of a workout and I had no real issues, lol other than wrecking a brand new bit. Lesson learnt… triple check the zero start point… sigh.

But bang for buck yep it a good unit. Will it last as long as a makita? Probably not, but bang for buck, yep.

1 Like