V Bit Angle

I have a question about v bit angle. Here is a picture of my single flute v bit

My assumption is that only the angle of the cutting edge (right side of picture) is important. Would I calculate the angle of that side and double it for EstlCAM? Would my max depth be the height of that flute?
Thanks for the input.

The distance from the top of the flute to the bottom of the point is theoretically the deepest you can go, but you might have trouble clearing material. Plus, you’ll just get a deep pointy pocket. If you’re using that for engraving, it probably doesn’t make sense to go down past the “V”. I think you’ll want to limit it at something like the diameter of the tool divided by twice the tangent of that angle. Might want to check my trig to be safe, because it’s late, but you can calculate it one way or another.

I have been trying to use this site to help me figure my set, but i cant seem to get the COSa to work out, calculator gets an error :frowning:

https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/trig-cosine-law.html

What are you trying to figure? I mean, you COULD always just measure them…

I got a random bit set from china, but no info on what angles the V bits are, so trying to figure out what the angle is so I can set it in ESTLCAM correctly, I measured the length, and used my micrometer at the base to make my triangle, and now doing the math for the angles, is there a better way?

Is the point in the middle of rotation?

What is the diameter and the length of each edge?

I am guessing the angle should be 90-acos(0.5*diameter/length). Make sure the acos is reporting in degrees. If you post the numbers here, I can check the work.

You should expect 2 angles to be the same, the third angle should be the point. Let us know if this works out!

1 Like

yeah it looks like the point is in the middle of the rotation, diameter is .117, and each side is .625, I ended up with a 10.74 degree angle according to my math

this is awesome! plug and play! way easier than my doing it long hand lol

thank you! saved this to my MPCNC folder!

1 Like

It looks eccentric, like one side is different than the other.

They are different. That’s why I have the question.

But

That’s why I am confused.

yeah I see what you’re saying, on my bit I was trying to figure out both sides are the same length

One side (left side in your picture) has relief so it doesn’t rub on the workpiece. And the cone-like surface in between also has relief. Ignore that side completely. Only thr right side (cutting side) matters.

1 Like

That isn’t a reply from me. The bit is 3.18 diameter above the angles. The height of the right side is 4.75mm and the left side is aprrox 6.85mm. I can do the math and the left angle is 19.55 degrees and the right angle is 13.4 degrees.

So would I put 40 degrees is EstlCAM?

1 Like

Oh, sorry. Popping in and out of topics confused me.

That looks right to me. And 40 degrees is what you would put in.

You will need to do some cutting tests probably. Just pick a letter and carve it with different angles.