Use laser cut on lowrider2

Is it possible to install a cutting laser on lowrider2? My lowrider2 uses skr pro v1.2 board

Yes, it is possible to install a diode laser on a Lowrider. The V1 maintained Marlin firmware for the SKR Pro has laser support enabled, and a number of people are using lasers on their Primo with this control board. I don’t remember anyone specifically running it on the Lowrider, but it should not be a problem.

There are two challenges with a laser module on a Lowrider. The first challenge is the mount. There are no specific issues, but how much work it will be to figure out the mounting will depend on the laser module. A number of people on this forum own NEJE A40640. I have a mount for this laser that is inside a 65mm tube, so in theory, it could be used in the Lowrider Makita mount.

The second challenge is expectations. Diode laser modules are not all that powerful. At any project considered “Lowrider sized,” cutting, even with a higher power diode laser module, will be a multi-hour operation (in most materials). You might get “reasonable” cut times in cardboard, or poster board, or very thin wood. There is no problem with the laser cutting thicker materials. It is just time consuming.

Lasers have come a long way in the last couple of years. The NEJE A40640 was one of the most powerful modules on the market a year ago. This year laser modules nearly twice as powerful hit the market. Of course, the cost is high with the newest laser modules priced around $600 compared to the NEJE at $280.

The first challenge, the mount, is probably not much a challenge around here. Just tell us what router you have and what laser you are getting, and a link to a printable file will likely show up shortly.

As Robert mentioned, definitely do base your expectations of a laser on reality. I’ve got a neje a40640 and it’s ok… fun to play with etching images and occasionally push it hard through some thin plywood. It’s definitely not nearly as useful as a co2 laser though. If I was looking at spending $600 on a diode, I’d be looking really hard at getting co2 instead.

I ran a laser in my LR2, and there are some LR2 based laser mounts on Printables and Thingiverse.

What router do you use for the LowRider? I have a few options for mounts if it’s the Makita.

Makita

I printed @robertbu 's design and used it successfully with the Neje laser. It fits into the baseplate for the Makita router, and allows use of @dkj4linux air assist nozzle as well.

You may need to make adjustments if you’re using a different laser.

Thanks for the information. Another question, the skro pro v1.2. the láser connect is directly un to board or use another board for control the láser?

The SKR 1.2 has a pin designated (I don’t remember which off hand, but it should be in the V1 documentation) for laser control, but what it is is a PWM pin that the laser control module will use. You will need to provide power for the laser, and there is usually a PWM/TTL pin for the laser that you connect tot he SKR Pro board. Again, the laser that you choose may do things differently, in which case you’ll need to do some translating. This one works for the Neje laser, and many others as well, it would work for the other Chinese diode laser that I have as well for example. Most diode lasers that run off of 12VDC should work with this signal, but best to check with the manufacturer if a 5V PWM signal will control the laser before you buy it.

The V1 maintained Marlin firmware defines the laser pin for the SKR Pro as:

#define SPINDLE_LASER_PWM_PIN PC9
#define SPINDLE_LASER_ENA_PIN PB0 // Heater2

Most people don’t use the enable pin, just the laser PWM pin. You can find a pinout diagram here. And PC9 is on Extension-1.

In terms of connecting, you will need to figure out two things. First, you will need to verify the voltages of PWM signals your laser module accepts. I’m not completely sure, but I’d guess that PC9 is a 3.3V pin, so your laser will need to accept a 3.3V PWM signal. Note that laser modules that are designed to accept 5V PWM signals typically run okay on 3.3V signals. This PWM voltage is usually not the same as voltage that power the laser, and these days, often a module can accept a range of voltages.

Second, if you power your laser from a separate 12V power supply, your control board and the second power supply must share a ground. That just means that, in addition to a signal wire coming from the laser to the control board, you need a ground wire connecting to a ground pin as well (like the one just to the left of PC9).

Some lasers come with companion boards. The NEJE does, and it simplifies the connections, but you don’t necessarily need a companion board to run the laser.