Upgrading a 2018 MPCNC Advice

Hi there,

I hope this is the right place to put these questions. I am looking to upgrade my machine and want to ask your advice.

I have a 900mm square machine, giving approx 460mm cut area. Happy with this for the moment. Rambo 1.4 board. Dewalt DW660. Repetier Host on a Mac laptop.

I’d like to include:

• LCD screen
  • Z axis probe
  • Cover for Rambo board, getting quite dusty.
  • Replace wiring possibly? I found joining the kit very difficult and have no doubt messed it up
  • Any other tips welcome for efficient use

Is it as simple as buying the items and plugging in, LCD in particular? I’m assuming not. Asking what to watch out for please.

Many thanks,

Rob

1 Like

With the right LCD, it is as simple as plugging it in. V1/Ryan sell this one. Similar/same displays are widely available. Occasionally there are cabling issues where the red strip on the cables is on the wrong side or where the builder plugs the cable in wrong.

• Z axis probe

Your firmware is already configured for a Z probe (at least I assume it was back in 2018). If not, there is a no-compile method of updating the firmware on your board. Installing the touch plate is as simple as plugging the Z probe into the correct endstop plug on the Rambo board. You need to be careful when plugging it in to avoid the ‘+’ pin. There will be some additional work to figure out how you want to trigger it and if you want to compensate for the touch plate thickness. Ryan sell a touch plate in his shop, and touch plates are widely available elsewhere. Often people make them as well.

Cover for Rambo board

There are at least two available on Thingiverse. I use this one. The tolerances are tight for getting the SD card in and out, but other than that, I like it.

Replace wiring possibly?

This is your call, but if your machine is working, I’d probably wait. I’ve not seen a serial wiring harness outside of the V1 store, so you will either have to build your own or purchase a new one from V1 if/when you replace the wiring.

2 Likes

Thank you!