Under the roar of the air raid siren, we are building LowRider 3

This isn’t a real concern. Microcontrollers are like regular pcs. A faster microcontroller needs more stuff to do to be doing things faster.

Marlin still supports 8 bit ramps boards. Unless you have some extreme setup, you will not be able to measure any difference in the microcontroller speed.

We used to use allthread rod for the Z, which used 4500 steps per mm. So we would hit a limit on the ramps when moving the Z too fast. But we use T8 now, which is about 400 steps/mm. So that isn’t a problem anymore.

If you are doing trochoidal milling, it can generate a lot of small arcs. The arcs take more computation, so that is another case where it may matter.

But just driving the machine at top speed, it will not be the bottleneck. Marlin works fine with 8bit microcontrollers.

3 Likes

I use a Uno and cncshield v3 to power my primo so a mega will handle anything you need i used the mega and mega GRBL without any edits on a 1.6 ramps also so i doubt the marlin will be any problem.

2 Likes

Guys, thanks a lot for the info. But future board will need to be replaced with 32bit. The plan is to manufacture parametric plywood furniture. And there are many arcs, circles and many broken paths.

2 Likes

Just saying nothing i have cut ever stuttered unless i overstretched the machine itself not the board. So start with what you have and change when you can of feel the need.

3 Likes

I completely agree with you. At the current time there are huge difficulties with the acquisition of components and components. Therefore, I asked a question about the controllers, so that in the future I would not sin on the design and quickly identify the cause in the problem, which is likely to come out. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I disagree. On the scale of furniture. The 8 bit can handle the arcs just fine.

Trochoidal milling is the kind of thing where you see the issue. Dozens of circles per second, made of arcs. And even then, it cuts fine, but it slows down.

It really isn’t as big of a problem as people make it seem.

4 Likes

Thanks for explaining. In any case, you need to continue building. Once again, thank you very much for your response.

3 Likes

After 36 hours, XY_plate printing ended. Let me remind you that the plate slightly increased the height along the guides by 200mm, the thickness of the plate was 16.4mm, and a selection was made for a 5x8 hitch. Print settings: 80% triangle fill, 0.2mm layer height. The mass of the plate came out 532 grams. The second slab was printed today.

3 Likes

After almost a month, I was able to find MGN12 guides and other small things. The construction of LR3 will be slow due to the deteriorating situation in my country. In our free time, we patrol the city helping the military and the police. The next step is to find materials for the sacrificial table. I’ll add a photo later.

6 Likes

The will of yourself and the people of Ukraine is something else. I hope 4 the best of this situation!!!

Stay Strong!

3 Likes

I really like that spool holder! Is that custom or did your printer come that way? Recently Ive been noticing my filament kinda tangling up on the real. I was thinking some resistance would help keep it unwinding smoothly without letting so much slack form which i think is the cause. This hasn’t caused any issue yet thankfully but I may just be lucky so far and would like to do something like that to prevent jams/issues.

2 Likes

I printed the cat holder on my 3D printer, found stl files on the thingiverse website. This is really a very useful tuning for this printer, you won’t regret doing it). I can also recommend a thread sensor bracket (Sidewinder X1 Filament Sensor Bracket by KenR - Thingiverse). A very convenient thing when you have to often change plastic coils.

2 Likes

You’re doing great! We are praying for the safety of your people, and for freedom from the aggression against you.

1 Like

After a long silence, I want to share, though not great, but at least some result. The assembly of my LR3 is, in fact, from different trash. Used everything, from the atx power supply case to the wires from the old radio. 3D printing helps a lot, although there are some difficulties in realizing your ideas. In other words, if you close your eyes to some little things, then my LowRider looks pretty good.

4 Likes

Here’s how you can use the case from the power supply for arduino mega + RAMPS 1.6

8 Likes

simply amazing that while all that is going on in your country, you are able to do this. Thank you for sharing!!

1 Like

It is very difficult at the current time to collect such kind of projects. Autumn I regret that I did not start collecting Primo or LowRider 2 earlier. Now there is a need for such devices. Most of the large-scale production in my country has stopped, but having such an uncomplicated but effective machine, it is possible to organize small-scale production both for the needs of the army and for the civilian population. As an example, I would need a laser, with its help you can make stencils for painting in camouflage or cut fabric for military uniforms and equipment, and much more. But alas, I can’t buy such a laser yet, now it is very expensive for me.

3 Likes

Something like this should work for stencils MPCNC DragKnife by SlavikS - Thingiverse

2 Likes

You gave a good idea. I think this device can help me. Thank you, I will try to work with such devices.

3 Likes

No problem pal. Stay safe. I pray for Ukraine every day.

2 Likes