TrueNAS/Tailscale Questions

I know this isn’t the right forum but I like you guys better than anywhere else, and yall are all a ton smarter than me so lets see how this goes.

I have a computer here set up running TrueNAS Scale on it, All my computers here can access it just fine and it works great. Today I setup tailscale in hopes of being able to access the NAS when I am not home. Tailscale setup was simple and seems to work just fine. But I cant for the life of me figure out how to access it when I’m not on the home network.

All I have for a laptop is an old Macbook that I take to work with me. I brought it out and If I’m on the home network I can get to the nas no problem. But if I take and put the laptop on my hotspot I can see the truenas computer on tailscale but I cant access anything on it.

This is all way above my paygrade. So does anyone have any help for this dummy?

1 Like

How is tailscale connected to your network? I run it on PFsense and can get to my network from anywhere. I have also run it on my Unraid server as well.

Also - this may be a dumb question, but did you turn on tailscale on your laptop and ‘connect’ to the network?

dm

It is on the TrueNAS server and set up as an exit. Yes sir I did connect the laptop to tailscale and connect it. I just tried to get into anything from my phone. I guess I just need to keep searching youtube until I stumble across a video for it. Tons of videos saying how to set it up. None saying how to actually use it lol

It just works for me. I would say that I tried to get it working on a TrueNAS scale server and couldn’t get it to work so gave up on it. I’ve actually given up on truenas for anything other than storage and use my unraid server for all of that now. Do you use pfsense or something like that for your router?

dm

No. I have thought about it and watched a few videos on it. If I did that it would be just for the “oh cool I did that” I don’t know enough about any of it to know a good reason past that lol. I have heard plenty of people talk about an Unraid server before but I don’t even know what that is LOL. All I have are this NAS and i have another mini computer running home assistant. That’s as far as my networking knowledge goes. I would love to learn more but its hard for me to find info that my ADHD can stand to pay attention to and understand lol

Ok now I am wondering if its because I don’t have a “user” set up for my laptop on the NAS. I’ve had to set up different user names for each of the 3 computers here at the house to be able to use it. Each of them can read/copy any file on the system but they can only write to folders created from that specific computer. I don’t know if I screwed up the setup or if that’s normal. Super hard to find “info for dummies” past initial installation.

Do you have subnets setup?

99% sure you need to setup your subnets to do what you want.

Blockquote
Subnet routers and traffic relay nodes · Tailscale Docs

1 Like

No sir

Ok I will give that a read and check it out. We are headed out first thing in the morning and wont be back till Friday. Might have to pick this back up when we get back in town. Thanks for your help! I will spend this week looking over what you sent and trying to find more info on it all

Ok I did have them set up on the truenas. I remembered it as being called something else. But I’m not sure on the ip addresses. It wants 192.168.0.0/24 my ip address range goes well past 24. But it wont let me put anything other than that

That should be right.

I’m not familiar with Tailscale, but most software that allows you to access local resources remotely, requires a port forwarding rule added to your router/firewall/whatever you are using. So if for example Tailscale advertises a service on port 10191 to remotely connect to your NAS, then you must add a forwarding rule that says any incoming traffic requesting a service running on port 10191 must be forwarded to the internal IP address of the machine running Tailscale.

/24 is the subnet mask - covers 192.168.0.1 -192.168.0.254

1 Like

The point of tailscale is you don’t need to open any ports to use it.

2 Likes

Ah. Got it.

It’s worth getting setup. I have a second home in South Carolina and have connected to my 3d printer at home to print something and have one of my kids bring it down to me!

Yeah I defiantly want to get it set up. I’ve been wanting to do it for a while now just keep putting it off because I don’t know what the hell I’m doing LOL. I just need to find more info on what to do AFTER you get tailscale working lol

When I first set up a NAS box, it was on FreeNAS 0.7. The next revision 0.8 was an entirely different animal, and I didn’t care for jt as much, so I kept two boxes running 0.7 for a long time.

Of course the old version didn’t play well with Windows 10. I could make it work on the LAN, but it wasn’t pretty.

I built a new box on XigmaNAS, which is probably a truer descendant of the old FreeNAS, and I’ve been quite happy with it. Probably time to update it now. I haven’t quite phased out the old FreeNAS, because I just keep adding drives. I have 23 drives in the new box, and still have 8 in the old one. Most got moved to the new box, but 24 is max capacity for the new box.

There are some other solutions out there, but this one works for me.

1 Like

I don’t use Tailscale but it looks very similar to zerotier, a zero configuration VPN manager.

Are you trying to connect to your device using the VPN ip address not your local one?

The point of these zero config systems is you don’t need to set up port forwarding, firewall rules or mess with subnetting.