Tree in progress

Our director asked for a treestump for the musical Shrek.
If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. I have only styrofoam, so a styrofoam tree it should be:

The starting picture
boomstronk

Traced with inkscape and imported into estlcam 12 alpha:

Cut on my lowhighrider 3

Partially painted by one of our players (a real painting talent!):
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2023-10-06 om 13.21.15_f0d3a786

I love it when a plan comes together!

12 Likes

That is rad! That must be a fun set if you all can whip something like that up so nicely.

1 Like

I always tell my school we should build a LR in the basement so we can do props and backgrounds for theatre. He actually wants to do it, but our school has been getting a remodel for ages now… After that’s done, we are going to get our shop room back. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow, that’s pretty slick. Our theater had a big full sized tree. Weighed a ton. I think we had five hundred pounds of fly weights in the bottom of it to keep it stable. Put a big sign on the back of it that said “don’t move if the weights are removed”. We had to pull half the weights for a full width backdrop, so we chained it to the wall with a big sign that said “Don’t move, no weights!!” Drama teacher tried to move it by herself, and it fell over on her.

1 Like

I like using styrofoam for theatre props, thats why I have a ridicoulously low high rider. I just have to build a longer table for it to ride on. Our performance is the last weekend of october. After that I want to build the longer table. (days/weeks/months/years/decades)

3 Likes