Torsion Box Question

Don’t want to cut corners that shouldn’t be cut, but also want to keep overall build cost as low as possible (who wouldn’t?!)

Looking for guidance to keep cost down for torsion box (5 sheets of OSB starts to rival the machine build cost!)-- seems like OSB is on the ~top list of materials (albeit not at the top like MDF). Where are some areas to sub OSB in? Torsion box bottom? spars? ribs?

Where are some areas to not sub OSB – spoil board?

I do want a good flat table at the end for other projects and for the cnc of course.

Thanks ahead-- closing in on my last 3p prints and awaiting my v1e shipment !

Dave, I’m not sure about the OSB. My entire top is MDF. I will say that I got my MDF at Menards. A 4x8x3/4 sheet was $55. From that one sheet I was able to do everything except the top, bottom, and spoil board. I’m about ready to get the second 4x8 sheet tomorrow but it will only be 1/2 thick and the cost is $45. This will be for my top and bottom. I believe that I have enough scrap from my 3/4 MDF to make a spoil board. Point is, @ $100 total, I think its reasonable. If I was forced to do part of it in OSB, I would be doing the ribs and spars. Keep the top surfaces MDF as that is probably the smoothest material to cut and ride on. My working dimensions are 4x4 and I think the overall table was just over 5 x 5.

1 Like

Physically, the OSB is going to be strong enough. I only worry about joints being loose because of the back side texture. That’s just a guess, but the torsion box designs all seem to come out over powered. I would guess OSB is pretty rigid in that kind of torsion. Because itis used as skin on houses.

I hope you don’t need 5 sheets. Although the spares can make some industrial looking projects.