The One Rider

“One Rider to rule them all, One Rider to find them, One Rider to bring them all and in the darkness mill them.”

After printing some of the parts on an Ender 3 Max with some slight warping I decided to reprint all One Rider parts on an Ender 5 Plus. The Ender 5 Plus has a large build volume, however, the ordeal by fire was printing the core.

The core turned out pretty good but not perfect and I am thinking about reprinting the core.

In this thread I will post updates as the build progresess forward and hopefully soon will be a working full sheet One Rider.

I turned this,

into this.

Close up on the makita tool mount and dust shoe (it seems a bit loose?)

Most parts printed with a 0.6 nozzle with a 0.3mm layer height.

I have assembled all 14 bearings, the tool mount and I going through my shopping cart from the v1e store before I make an order and get the parts needed to continue.

I have yet to decide on what motherboard for the One Rider and if I am going to use a touchplate or a bltouch or other probe.

7 Likes

Looking good!

Looks good, you have the core upside down though. :smile:

You are right it´s upside down!

I need to cut my other railing today and start assembling the beam.

I didn’t even notice!

Mt. Doom is a bit overboard when it comes to an enclosure, doncha think?

Also, did you print it in Hi-Temp PLA, except for the elvish script, so that when you heat it up, the regular PLA melts away, revealing the ominous, yet beautiful, inscription?

I did think about an inscription for the tool mount, perhaps removing some material and wiring a led inside it. So there would be a glowing text. I was thinking that perhaps a led ring around the dust shoe could be useful?

2 Likes

To paint or not to paint?

4 Likes

Natural kinda matches your color scheme.

4 Likes

Spray it with some of this to protect it and leave it…
https://www.amazon.com/Minwax-33255000-Helmsman-Urethane-Aerosol/dp/B000Z8DGJE?th=1

2 Likes

Time again to get started with this build.

I was pondering on building a primo but instead I’ll continue with The One Rider.

However, I still don’t have space for a full sheet build.

Is 1220 x 1220 in usable cutting area a good compromise?

1 Like

Whatever you have room for and will do what you want for projects.

There are a number of people who go even smaller. some are about 610X1220 I think.

3 Likes

Hi Dan,

thank you for your reply.

I think I’ll go with those measurements, I have one large project planned but that requires a full sheet so it will have to wait.

A smaller build seems like a good way to start learning how to mill!

2 Likes

Have I missed something? I am going for a lowrider 3 build with skr pro.

@vicious1

1 Like

Do you need 2 Makita collets? You addsd one to the hardware set and one separate.

Also 4 wiring extensions might be more than you need. The motor wires ought to reach for Y1/Z1.

I would probably also want more endmills. The standard 1/8" single flute end mills are a good deal. I got one of the variety packs with the engraving bit, the 1/16" bit, the double flute and the ball nose mill too. I have uses most of them at least once and have projects planned for others.

1 Like

I’m not sure if there are 2 collects or if the hardwear set add the collet when I select it in the options for the hardwear set.

I am going to mill mdf and wood and carve out letters for a sign. What endmill would you recommend for that?

I think that the variety pack looks solid!

Pretty sure that you would get 2 with that order, but get confirmation from @vicious1 .

I ordered a bunch of the single flute mills. They are great for MDF, but will get dull, and they go “ping” if you accidentally run them into a clamp or a screw… or a rock embedded in a piece of MDF. (Has happened.)

1 Like

That is one collet, it is just showing the options selected.

The kit comes with stepper extender wires, you should not need the extra four wires.

I have a 1220x880. So yeah, whatever works. I used the full X against Ryan’s advice because I wanted a) to not have a belt in my face and b) the option to build a longer table. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Tokoloshe I am thinking about 1220 x 610 in usuable cutting area. That would give me a) the option to build a larger table b) not sure about what else.

Are you happy with the 880mm? Would you go smaller or larger if you would rebuild?

1 Like